How to create CHECK CONSTRAINT based on a query?

• In pl/sql it's possible to create a CHECK constraints based on a query of values in another table. Is the same posssible in SQL? My searches on line are inconclusive.

• hxkresl (6/30/2011)

In pl/sql it's possible to create a CHECK constraints based on a query of values in another table. Is the same posssible in SQL? My searches on line are inconclusive.

Its not possible to create a CHECK constraint on a table( say, table_1 ) based on values in another table( say, table_2 ). You will have to use a trigger to implement the same.

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Thank you, Kingston.

• Hi

You can use a UDF function in your check constraint to check the values in another table.

here is an example;

assume you have a table called state which have all possible stateIds you use in many tables (so it is not possible to use a foriegn key constraint)

-- we want to check if the values in the following tables are a subset of the main state table

CREATE TABLE t1 (stateId INT NOT NULL)

-- create a function to check the state values and return 1 if stateId is invalid

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fnc_IsValidState(@StateId INT, @TypeId Int) RETURNS BIT

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @flag BIT = 1

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM state WHERE stateId =@StateId AND TypeId=@TypeId)

BEGIN

SET @flag = 0

END

RETURN @flag

END

go

--Add a check constraints to the table to call the function

ALTER TABLE dbo.[t1] WITH NOCHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [CK_StateCHeck] CHECK ((dbo.fnc_IsValidState(StateId,1)=1))

-- test by adding some invalid values

INSERT INTO t1 VALUES(12)

I personally prefer FK constraints if possible, this code is to show that it is possible to do what you are asking for using a function, but it may not be the best solution..

hope you find it useful

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply