How to create a Data Dictionary in SQL

• I want to create a Data Dictionary in SQL Server 2000(concept taken from Oracle, but with a little variation) and in that I want to capture all the table names, DB name , last updated on , last updated (by) Login, Rows before update , Rows after update.

This I want to build for one server, and later I want to expand this to all the SQL Servers.

How can I do this (without creating triggers on all the tables) in SQL ?

• As far as I know SQL server does not track table updates so you would need to use triggers to do that.

You can get table name info from sysobjects where xtype='U' and columns from syscolumns.

try sp_help

You can do:

>sp_helptext sp_help

to learn how this is done.

The following procedure will give you table size and number of rows. Its a bit more complex than you need as I use dynamic SQL to run it from a non-master database:

CREATE PROCEDURE usp_SpaceUsed

(

@DatabaseName sysname = NULL,

@NumRows int=9999-- Nubmer of rows to return

)

AS

/********************************************************************************

This is a tailored version of sp_spaceused

Lists space used by all tables in descending order of size

Plus one summary row at start showing space used by all tables

*********************************************************************************/

SET NOCOUNT ON

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED

-- Declare holding variable for dynamic query

DECLARE @cmd varchar(1000)

DECLARE @DBNamesysname

SELECT @DBName = ISNULL(@DatabaseName, DB_NAME())-- This is not much use now as current is always DataDict

-- Verify that the supplied database exists

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases

WHERE Name = @DBName)

BEGIN

RAISERROR(15010,1,1,@DBname) WITH SETERROR

RETURN 15010

END

SELECT @cmd='USE ' + @DBName + char(13) + char(10)

-- Build it (and they will come...)

SELECT @cmd = @cmd +

'

SELECT TOP ' + convert(varchar,@NumRows) +'

''Table'' =object_name(S.id),

''Reserved KB'' = convert(bigint, sum(CASE WHEN S.indid IN (0,1,255) THEN S.reserved ELSE 0.0 END) * min(D.low) / 1024),

''Data KB'' = convert(bigint,sum(CASE WHEN S.indid IN (0,1) THEN dpages WHEN S.indid=255 THEN isnull(S.used,0.0) ELSE 0.0 END) * min(D.low) / 1024),

''Index KB'' = convert(bigint,sum(CASE WHEN S.indid IN (0,1) THEN isnull(S.used,0.0) - S.dpages ELSE 0.0 END) * min(D.low) / 1024),

''Unused KB'' = convert(bigint,sum(CASE WHEN S.indid IN (0,1,255) THEN S.reserved - S.used ELSE 0.0 END) * min(D.low) / 1024),

''Rows'' = sum(CASE WHEN S.indid IN (0,1) THEN S.rowcnt ELSE 0 END)

FROM sysindexes S, master.dbo.spt_values D

WHERE D.number = 1 AND D.type = ''E'' AND S.Reserved > 0

GROUP BY object_name(S.id) WITH ROLLUP

ORDER BY 2 desc'

-- We've built it, time to execute

EXEC (@cmd)

-- Hopefully, this is zero

RETURN @@ERROR

GO

• Thanks. So I have to create triggers on all tables if I want to capture when and how it was last updated and what login was used to update the table. Is there a way to create triggers on all the tables of a DB.?

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply