How to Copy the Client Database

• Hi

I have VPN connection for my client, i can access my client server now.

Recently company installed SQL server 2005.

Now i want copy the my client database into my local server.

How can i do that?????????????????

Any help that's great

Thanks in advance

Sank

• since you have a VPN, your machine is effectively on their network right?

what you'll want to do is fairly straightforward, the process is the same as you would do locally.

connect via SSMS to the client's server.

using SSMS, create a backup; since you don't want to mess up any of their existing maintenance plans, make sure the backup you create is for copy only, and change the name of the backup so you don't overwrite the clients existing file:

after the backup is created, you'll need to access it over the network...browse to \\servername\share\thebackup you created.

from there it's copy and paste....note that if you zip it, because you are on the network, it will take longer...because to zip it it gets copied to your temp directory, created, and then placed back wherever you said the zip should be created, and then maybe even copied from that remote zip location to your computer again... you typically want to have remote desktop access to the server to zip a huge backup, which might be copied as described above, or moved via FTP.

hope that helps.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply