How to convert to char in sql server

• I'm running the code in ssrs that has sql server data source connection.

Following is the code snippet of my query,

How can I convert the line that is underlined and bold into char in sql server. I also used

convert(varchar, grp.Data_Group_Number) in @Data_Group_Number or '0' in @Data_Group_Number)

but I'm getting error.

declare @Data_Group_Number varchar

set @Data_Group_Number = 0

with group_1 as
    (select 1 Group_Number, 1 Data_Sort
    union select 2 Group_Number, 2 Data_Sort
    union select 3 Group_Number, 3 Data_Sort),
    data_group as
    (select Case when grp.Group_Number = 1 Then 'Company1'
    When grp.Group_Number = 2 Then 'Company2'
    When grp.Group_Number = 3 Then 'Company3'
    End Data_Group
    from group_1 grp
    where (cast(grp.Group_Number) in @Group_Number or '0' in @Group_Number)
    )
    select *from data_group;

• Your syntax for CAST is wrong.
    It's CAST(expression AS datatype)

for example...

SELECT 'The film, '+ Title + ' is ' + CAST(RunTimeMinutes AS VARCHAR(3)) + ' minutes long.'
    FROM dbo.Film;

and wouldn't you do the CAST in the last SELECT statement, not in the intermediate ones?

• I've changed my code, but still getting error "Incorrect syntax near '@Group_Number'

Declare @group_number varchar

Set @group_number = 0;

With group_1 as

(       select 1 Group_Number, 1 Data_Sort fromdual

union select 2 Group_Number, 2Data_Sort from dual

union select 3 Group_Number, 3 Data_Sortfrom dual

)

select Case When cast(grp. Group_NumberAS varchar(2)) = 1 Then 'Company1'

When cast(grp. Group_NumberAS varchar(2)) = 2 Then ‘Company2’

When cast(grp.Data_Group_NumberAS varchar(2)) = 3 Then ‘Company3

End Data_Group,

From rpt_groupgrp

Where grp. Group_Numberin @Group_Number or '0' in @Group_Number

• 'dual' is a table in Oracle.  Are you using Oracle as your source or SQL Server?

• I'm sorry while typing in the post I accidently typed dual. I'm not using dual in my code.

• soldout6000 - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:02 AM

I've changed my code, but still getting error "Incorrect syntax near '@Group_Number'

Declare @group_number varchar

Set @group_number = 0;

With group_1 as

(       select 1 Group_Number, 1 Data_Sort fromdual

union select 2 Group_Number, 2Data_Sort from dual

union select 3 Group_Number, 3 Data_Sortfrom dual

)

select Case When cast(grp. Group_NumberAS varchar(2)) = 1 Then 'Company1'

When cast(grp. Group_NumberAS varchar(2)) = 2 Then ‘Company2’

When cast(grp.Data_Group_NumberAS varchar(2)) = 3 Then ‘Company3

End Data_Group,

From rpt_groupgrp

Where grp. Group_Numberin @Group_Number or '0' in @Group_Number

The where clause is incorrect. For the first part, something like that with an in clause would normally be something like:
    Where grp.Group_Number in (@Group_Number)
    and I have no idea what you are trying to do in the second part. @Group_Number you declared as varchar and no size. So it's essentially varchar(1).
    You aren't doing anything with @group_number other than setting it to 0 after the declaration so the where clause doesn't make a lot of sense. I am guessing there could be more than just syntax errors that is problematic.

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:21 AM

The where clause is incorrect. For the first part, something like that with an in clause would normally be something like:
    and I have no idea what you are trying to do in the second part. @Group_Number you declared as varchar and no size. So it's essentially varchar(1).
    You aren't doing anything with @group_number other than setting it to 0 after the declaration so the where clause doesn't make a lot of sense. I am guessing there could be more than just syntax errors that is problematic.

Sue

And the IN clause won't work as expected if it has more than one value.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:22 AM

Sue_H - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:21 AM

Sue

Check out that declaration -  It can only have a single character. So don't even need the in. Just doesn't make much sense and can't figure out what they may be trying to accomplish.

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:28 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:22 AM

Sue_H - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:21 AM

Sue

Check out that declaration -  It can only have a single character. So don't even need the in. Just doesn't make much sense and can't figure out what they may be trying to accomplish.

Sue

I have checked out the declaration.  I simply stated that the IN clause as you posted won't work if that same variable has multiple values.

• Thank you so much for the feed back.
    I did as follows;
    and it's working.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply