How to convert a column data type in an Update statement

• UPDATE

DimABCD

SET

ConsumerTypeID = D.Consumertype_ID,

UserID = D.USER_ID

From DimABCD rc

JOIN [bidw].[dbo].[TempConsumer] D ON rc.UID = D.V_ID

here the column UserID(varchar) has empty's in Tempconsumer table. and its an int column in DimABCD table.

so can you please tell me how to use convert statement and load emptys into an int column in this query.

• crazekalyan (1/26/2011)

UPDATE

DimABCD

SET

UserID = D.USER_ID

From DimABCD rc

here the column UserID(varchar) has empty's in Tempconsumer table. and its an int column in DimABCD table.

so can you please tell me how to use convert statement and load emptys into an int column in this query.

Just check if the below sql suits your requirement, this would insert NULL's for what ever is not a numeric value, you can replace null with what ever you want.

UPDATE DimABCD

SET

UserID = CASE WHEN isnumer(D.USER_ID)=1 THEN D.USER_ID ELSE null

From DimABCD rc

Sriram

• Thanks sriram, but i need the emptys to be loaded into the dimabdc table for USERID column.

• hmmm, I dont think "hmmm" is right response, but I dont think thats possible to insert " " space in int column, if we have to use a " " then why to use int, does take my understanding with respect to dbms concepts to a toss 🙂

even if you try to insert " " ... that would go down as "0" and not a space...

looking at your table names ..I feel you are working on a datawarehouse.. not sure why you want to get empty spaces into you dw ... when you want to have a int column, if you really need it, may be go for a varchar column.

Sriram

• You have to make a choice. What does an empty string mean as an integer? Is it NULL? Is it 0? You have to supply something because a number can't be just blank. It's NULL or a value, even if that value is zero.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply