How to convert 2 node cluster to single node.

• Hi Experts,

We have a 2 node cluster which shud be converted to single node cluster for some reason.

Can someone please tell me the steps to be carried out for that ?

Basic steps in sequence, rest I will google and find everything in detail.

Thanks in advance.

Smith.

• I think it depends on why you are doing it. You can pause a node so that no resources can be used on it (perhaps to perform maintenance on that node) or you can evict a node so that it is no longer part of the cluster (maybe because that node has died). You can't convert a clustered SQL Instance into a non-clustered instance.

If you want to permanently remove SQL from one of the nodes you can do that via the SQL Setup on the affected node.

To do evict or pause a node, you go into the cluster administrator on the nodes section and right-click to select the desired option.

• DNA_DBA (8/5/2014)

I think it depends on why you are doing it. You can pause a node so that no resources can be used on it (perhaps to perform maintenance on that node) or you can evict a node so that it is no longer part of the cluster (maybe because that node has died). You can't convert a clustered SQL Instance into a non-clustered instance.

If you want to permanently remove SQL from one of the nodes you can do that via the SQL Setup on the affected node.

To do evict or pause a node, you go into the cluster administrator on the nodes section and right-click to select the desired option.

App team wants to remove that node completely but still want cluster name to be retained.

Hope it would work if I remove it using sql setup from passive node.

Thanks a lot.

• So it's basically,

1. Login into Passive node

2. Run setup

3. Remove that node from cluster.

Hope I got it right.

Thanks,

Smith.

• Joy Smith San (8/5/2014)

1. Login into Passive node

2. Run setup

3. Remove that node from cluster.

That sounds right. From memory, when you run the setup it looks a bit worrying as the option you select is to change/remove the instance but further along there is the option to remove a particular node from the cluster.

• Thanks.

Will check and update you.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply