how to connect Cassandra and report the data using SSRS

• Hi Friends,

I have a requirement to generate report through SSRS 2012 from Cassandra DB.But I have no idea how does it work. we are hoping that SPARK SQL and SCALA or PYTHON would work.

But I have no knowledge about SCALA or PYTHON as well as how to connect Cassandra. I could not get much information in the internet source as well.

Can you please suggest some ideas to achieve this? Like what are the other alternative approaches and difficulties using SPARK SQL or SCALA if any?

any suggestions would be appreciated. Even client is ready to go for SQL 2016 if we have a method to do this.

Thanks,
    Charmer

• Here is an interesting link....

https://www.cdata.com/kb/tech/cassandra-ado-ssrs-server.rst

The walk-throught is well written.

This page might help you find the Driver you are looking for:

http://www.simba.com/drivers/cassandra-odbc-jdbc/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAkO7CBRDeqJ_ahuiPrtEBEiQAbYupJbTROpo-XwydUnSIQusf4Exx619ccTQjaSKlnQRmc3waAt7f8P8HAQ

I haven't found anything from Microsoft itself though.....

If you do have too many Problems you could resolve the issue by using an ETL Process and Import the data from Cassandra DB into a database in SQL Server that you can use for reporting.

A sequence you could implement is:

1. Export the data from Cassandra into a CSV file

2. Use OS utilities to copy the file to the SQL Server

3. Import the data into the SQL Server database

4. Use SSRS to create the report against the SQL Server database

It is pretty long-winded I know but if you don't have the connectivity tools available there are very few options left over.

• Hi Kevaburg, Thanks for the link and the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

My only option is to have to pull data directly from cassandra. I can't use any interface layer or staging for reporting. So I have to make it work at any cost. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I don't know how will it be get going on?

We got to know that client is installing SQL 2016 latest version. So I am trying to figure it out if there is any benefit for connecting Big Data in the latest version.

Please share me if you find any other approaches.

Thanks again.

Thanks,
    Charmer

• My only option is to have to pull data directly from cassandra. I can't use any interface layer or staging for reporting.[/Quote]

Is there a technical reason for this or is it political? I have a similar problem doing ETL from MySQL on the RaspberryPi to an SQL Server. You may not have another choice other than to stage the data.

[Quote]We got to know that client is installing SQL 2016 latest version. So I am trying to figure it out if there is any benefit for connecting Big Data in the latest version.

Sorry, but I don't understand this. Big Data relates to the size of the database and indirectly how it will be developed and administered. How big is your database?

• Not any political reason. Thats how the architect has been recommended. They are also not sure about that. Any way I believe ADO.net would work. I have been waiting for Cassandra installation on our dev server to test.

Just curious, will connecting cassandra using ADO.net support usual features and complex TSql statement in reporting services?

To the 2nd question, client wants to move to big data. So they have chosen Cassandra. Honestly I don't know why. And the data could be 100GB max as of yet. Very less.

I heard that client is thinking for future. To manage huge data when they get.

Thanks,
    Charmer

• May be you can find a Rest API for Cassandra to connect SSRS. According to my opinion It does not

diffrent then Couchbase

• I have an application that runs on Cassandra NoSql, I need to connect the ReportServer.

I'm using Spark-sql and Presto as interface tool.

Has anyone ever made this type of connection within ReportServer?

I need tips on how to do this communication between ReportServer and Cassandra NoSql.

Thank you.

• zane10 - Monday, February 18, 2019 11:00 AM

I have an application that runs on Cassandra NoSql, I need to connect the ReportServer.

I'm using Spark-sql and Presto as interface tool.

Has anyone ever made this type of connection within ReportServer?

I need tips on how to do this communication between ReportServer and Cassandra NoSql.

Thank you.

Is there any opinion on my issue of Cassandra Tutorial?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply