How to configure failover on 3 node cluster

• Hi,

we have a node cluster set up on windows 2008 R2 with sql server 2008 r2 and we have only one sql server instance INS1 on Node1 and Node2 is passive (i.e active/passive cluster).

Now, we added a 3 rd node, Node3, and installed one more instance INS2 on Node3.

Then,using the sql server set up, I ran the Add node option on node1 & node2.

Now, what is the best practice to configure the failover?

1. Want to failover INS1 from Node1 to Node2 and vice versa always & but NOT on to Node3

2. Want to failover INS2 from Node3 to Node2 always vice versa & NOT but NOT on to Node1

Please advise what I'm palnning is correct?

Thanks

• Actually this is pretty easy.

If you NEVER EVER EVER want instance 2 to fail over to node 1 and only ever be on node 2 or 3 you simply don't add node 1 as a node for it.. I would typically not ever do this, I would add one as a node just in case..

What I would do is make sure that for instance 2 that only the desired nodes were selected in the prefered nodes list which is under properties of the resource group. Within each resource of a resource group there is an advanced policies tab, this has check boxes for "possible owners". You could uncheck node 1 as a possible owner for the SQL Server resource, this would keep SQL from starting on that node..

Is that all clear?

CEWII

• Thank you.

• You are welcome.

CEWII

• If you NEVER EVER EVER want instance 2 to fail over to node 1 and only never be on node 2 or 3 you simply don't add node 1 as a node for it.. I would typically not ever do this, I would add one as a node just in case..

The above quoted lines means that we SHOULD NOT install SQL Server instance INS2 on NODE1 at all, if we never want to failover INS2 to NODE1? Please correct me if I misunderstood?

Thanks

• That is correct, you don't run the add node process on that node then it cannot under ANY circumstances ever run on that node.

I however would recommend not doing this. I recommed the other path which restricts SQL from running on node 1 but would allow it if there was a case where it might be needed.

Also, what is the Quorum configuration you are using? I'm guessing "Node Majority".

CEWII

• Quorum: Node and Disk Majaority

• That isn't the recommended configuration for three nodes. I believe Node Majority is the recommended setup. Either way if you lose two nodes the cluster is down..

CEWII

• gmamata7 (4/25/2012)

Hi,

we have a node cluster set up on windows 2008 R2 with sql server 2008 r2 and we have only one sql server instance INS1 on Node1 and Node2 is passive (i.e active/passive cluster).

Now, we added a 3 rd node, Node3, and installed one more instance INS2 on Node3.

Then,using the sql server set up, I ran the Add node option on node1 & node2.

Now, what is the best practice to configure the failover?

1. Want to failover INS1 from Node1 to Node2 and vice versa always & but NOT on to Node3

2. Want to failover INS2 from Node3 to Node2 always vice versa & NOT but NOT on to Node1

Please advise what I'm palnning is correct?

Thanks

Hi, Do you really need another node?....is it part of the requirement

I don't really understand the Passive concept....aren't you basically wasting another hardware.

Why can't you install the second instance on the second node and add it to first node and make it active/active cluster?

I know these are based on the criticality of the application/data....but just a thought.

Please correct me if I am wrong....

Regards,

TA

Regards,
    SQLisAwe5oMe.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply