How to code Cascade update and delete on SQL 7.0

• How can you implement Cascade update and delete in SQL 7.0? We are currently trying to use triggers to make this possible. Any suggestions?

• Its pretty straight forward coding. You need two triggers, one for updates and one for deletes. Delete would look something like this:

Create trigger d_tablename on tablename for delete as

--cascade delete

Delete from tableb where foreignkey in (select primarykey from deleted)

Updates maybe something like this:

Create trigger u_tablename on tablename for update as

--cascade update

update b set b.somefield = a.somefield, b.someotherfield=a.someotherfield from inserted a inner join tableb b on a.primarykey=b.foreignkey

It's not magic, just have to code each one and test, gets to be a lot of fun following the relationships at times.

Andy

• Currently, I am working on a project where I need to cascades deletes in SQL 7.0. I have a table called disc and another called disc_notes. I am trying to create a trigger that cascades the delete of an entry in disc so that it also deletes all the entries in disc_notes that refer to the entry in disc. There is a foreign key relationship set up between these to tables based on fields called disc_cnum and disc_num. From your example, I tried this:

CREATE TRIGGER disc_delete

ON disc

FOR DELETE

AS DELETE FROM disc_notes WHERE disc_cnum, disc_num IN

(SELECT disc_cnum, disc_num

FROM disc);

And I got this error:

Error 107: Line 4: Incorrect Syntax near ‘,’.

I was wondering if someone could take a look at this and offer me some advice. Thanks.

"There is no normal life, Wyatt. There is just life"
    ~Tombstone

• This:

WHERE disc_cnum, disc_num IN

IS not valid. You have to do

where disc_cnum in ( select...)

OR disc_num in (select ...)

The OR could be AND depending on your logic.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply