How to clean up my master database?

• I am not a DBA, but an application developer. After I ran some database creation script against my SQL Server Express 2012, I notice that all of my database objects are created in the master database, maybe due to the fact that my script has the following:

[font="Courier New"]USE [master]

GO

CREATE DATABASE [MyApplicationDb] ON PRIMARY

( NAME = N'MyDb', FILENAME = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SS2012EXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\MyApplicationDb.mdf' , SIZE = 323584KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 1024KB )

LOG ON

( NAME = N'MyDb_log', FILENAME = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SS2012EXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\MyApplicationDb.ldf' , SIZE = 41024KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 10%)

GO

[/font]

Of course there are more scripts following this to create stored procedures, views, functions and insert data into the tables.

So, now, here it is. Everything is stuck into the master database, which sucks. So, how do I clean up my master database? I don't have a backup of this database. I guess I have to start querying the allobjects table and check if they are ms shipped? Any idea on how to clean up the master DB? Thank you.

Also, why does SQL Server create everything in the master DB given my script? Please help. Thanks a lot!

• sql_sabis (7/9/2013)

Also, why does SQL Server create everything in the master DB given my script? Please help. Thanks a lot!

Probably because you didn't have a USE MyApplicationDb between the CREATE DATABASE and the object creations. Hence since master was still the selected database all the objects went into master.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • All of the objects where created in master because the very first statement in your script states "user master". That sets the database context on which database to use and will remain in that database until another "use" + database name is issued. If you wanted all of the objects to be created in the newly created database you would have to have another "use" + databasename prior to the object create statements. As far as cleaning up master goes, you'll need to query the sys.objects table and look for all objects with the created_date equal to the date you ran the script and then drop those objects.

• GilaMonster (7/9/2013)

sql_sabis (7/9/2013)

Probably because you didn't have a USE MyApplicationDb between the CREATE DATABASE and the object creations. Hence since master was still the selected database all the objects went into master.

Yes, that's probably the case, but then how do I clean up my master db? Also, very strangely, I don't see a Tables folder under my master database, unlike other regular databases. Yet, I know those tables are there in master, because I can run "SELECT * FROM Students" and get the resultset. Of course, wrong database, SQL Server!

• Richard Moore-400646 (7/9/2013)

All of the objects where created in master because the very first statement in your script states "user master". That sets the database context on which database to use and will remain in that database until another "use" + database name is issued. If you wanted all of the objects to be created in the newly created database you would have to have another "use" + databasename prior to the object create statements. As far as cleaning up master goes, you'll need to query the sys.objects table and look for all objects with the created_date equal to the date you ran the script and then drop those objects.

So, to check the Created_date is one way to go. Unfortunately, this is a huge database, with hundreds of tables + views + stored procedures + functions. Any idea about how to generate some script to get rid of those? Muck like

SELECT "DROP TABLE " + o.TABLE_NAME FROM sys.objects WHERE CREATED_DATE > '20130708'

Will that work?

• sql_sabis (7/9/2013)

Also, very strangely, I don't see a Tables folder under my master database, unlike other regular databases.

Right click the master database -> refresh. Object Explorer does not refresh automatically

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/9/2013)

sql_sabis (7/9/2013)

Also, very strangely, I don't see a Tables folder under my master database, unlike other regular databases.

Right click the master database -> refresh. Object Explorer does not refresh automatically

Thanks, but no, that does not work. I tried it before I asked. This symptom also exists in another instance of SQL Server Express 2012 where I messed up the master db exactly the same way. No Tables folder in master, man, but the tables are there. Strange. Any other idea?

• This Connect item suggests Microsoft acknowledges this as a bug and that it'll be fixed in the "next major release", whatever that is...

[url= http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/773184/ssms-system-databases-node-does-not-show-tables%5D

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/773184/ssms-system-databases-node-does-not-show-tables%5B/url%5D

• paul.knibbs (7/10/2013)

This Connect item suggests Microsoft acknowledges this as a bug and that it'll be fixed in the "next major release", whatever that is...

[url= http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/773184/ssms-system-databases-node-does-not-show-tables%5D

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/773184/ssms-system-databases-node-does-not-show-tables%5B/url%5D%5B/quote%5D

Thanks for demystifying it.

• You can try the following:

use master

EXEC sp_MSforeachtable 'DROP TABLE ?'

But be very careful!!! I tested this on a test server and it did get rid of tables that had accumulated over the last few months. Also, it did NOT touch the system tables, which was good. Always proceed with caution.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    How to Post to get the most: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• I have created a small script that cleans up all the mess. You might need to run it a few times and/or extend it with your own objects. Make sure you set the date properly, otherwise it won't do anything.

DECLARE @date date

SELECT @date = '2099-01-01' -- Adjust to the date that you started the mess :-)

DECLARE @statement nvarchar(250)

-- Kill all processes that have a connection to this database

DECLARE ForeignKeyCursor CURSOR LOCAL FORWARD_ONLY

FOR SELECT fk.name, tab.name

FROM sys.objects fk

INNER JOIN sys.objects tab ON fk.parent_object_id = tab.object_id

WHERE fk.TYPE = 'F'

DECLARE @keyName sysname

DECLARE @tableName sysname

OPEN ForeignKeyCursor

FETCH NEXT FROM ForeignKeyCursor INTO @keyName, @tableName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @statement = 'ALTER TABLE [' + @tableName + '] DROP CONSTRAINT [' + @keyName + ']'

EXEC sp_executeSql @statement

FETCH NEXT FROM ForeignKeyCursor INTO @keyName, @tableName

END

CLOSE ForeignKeyCursor

DEALLOCATE ForeignKeyCursor

-- Kill all processes that have a connection to this database

DECLARE ObjectCursor CURSOR LOCAL FORWARD_ONLY

FOR SELECT name, type FROM sys.objects WHERE create_date >= @date

DECLARE @name sysname

DECLARE @type nvarchar(10)

OPEN ObjectCursor

FETCH NEXT FROM ObjectCursor INTO @name, @type

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @statement =

CASE @type

WHEN 'FN' THEN 'DROP FUNCTION [' + @name + ']'

WHEN 'IF' THEN 'DROP FUNCTION [' + @name + ']'

WHEN 'TF' THEN 'DROP FUNCTION [' + @name + ']'

WHEN 'P' THEN 'DROP PROCEDURE [' + @name + ']'

WHEN 'U' THEN 'DROP TABLE [' + @name + ']'

WHEN 'V' THEN 'DROP VIEW [' + @name + ']'

ELSE null

END

IF @statement IS NOT NULL

EXEC sp_executeSql @statement

FETCH NEXT FROM ObjectCursor INTO @name, @type

END

CLOSE ObjectCursor

DEALLOCATE ObjectCursor

GO

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to safely detect if a user-defined type could be deleted. You have to do this by hand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply