How to check for successful full backups on Availability Group databases?

• Hi All,

I am setting up Availability Groups and I want to use the secondary replica to perform the full copy_only backups to reduce the load on the primary replica.

But what is the best way to check for successful full backups on Availability Group databases?

Previously I could check the system table msdb.dbo.backupset but this is not available for copy_only backups.

So I wonder how people are monitoring that their full backups have been successful?

Do you just check that the SQL Agent job that runs the backup was successful?

Or do you search the SQL Server Error Log for entries like "Database backed up. Database: xxx" where database xxx is in an Availability Group?

Or is there a better method?

Thanks,

DBA Pete

• DBA Pete (4/20/2015)

Hi All,

I am setting up Availability Groups and I want to use the secondary replica to perform the full copy_only backups to reduce the load on the primary replica.

But what is the best way to check for successful full backups on Availability Group databases?

Previously I could check the system table msdb.dbo.backupset but this is not available for copy_only backups.

So I wonder how people are monitoring that their full backups have been successful?

Do you just check that the SQL Agent job that runs the backup was successful?

Or do you search the SQL Server Error Log for entries like "Database backed up. Database: xxx" where database xxx is in an Availability Group?

Or is there a better method?

Thanks,

DBA Pete

There are tons of ways that you can do this. Because you're still running a sql job, it can work just like a normal backup where you are monitoring or reporting errors. Sure, you can get more fancy and put some error logging in your code but that's up to you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply