How to Change Login Name

• Hi All,

I want to ask a little issue. I have reotre a database from .bak file. on that DB, I got: username: dbo, and the login name for that user dbo is 'sa'

I want to change the login name for username 'dbo' from 'sa' to 'myusername'

Please advise on how to do this

Thank you very much for your help, guys.

Cheerss!!

Best Regards

• I don't believe that is possible. 'sa' is a special login for the system administrator, and 'dbo' is the username for that login.

You can re-create the database under a different login, but your database objects will not be owned by 'dbo'.

• Hi,

I think It is possible. when we try to restore database from .mdf .ldf, we can choose the default login for the database right? so, after the database created, it will say: username: dbo => loginname: 'myusername'

but, if I restore the database from .bak file. I did not see this option

Please help to solve this issue.

Thank you Guys

Best Regards

• Hi

I found the solution

After completed restoring the database from .bak.

just detach that DB, the attach it again from its .mdf .ldf file that have just created. you will get the option to set the default database login name for dbo there

Thanks Guys

Cheerss!!

Best Regards,

-Andrew J-

• Now, if you go to the Users under the new database, what Login Name do you see for user 'dbo'?

• I got 'mydatabaseuser' as the login name

so, the username is: 'dbo' and the login name for dbo is 'mydatabaseuser'

• You can also use the stored procedure 'sp_changedbowner' to accomplish the same thing without the detach/reattach.

use yourdb

exec sp_changedbowner 'mydatabaseuser'

• If the login that owns the db has system admin rights (which yours does), the owner of the database objects will show as 'dbo', but if the login that owns the db does NOT have sys admin rights, the database object owner will show as '[thelogin]'.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply