How to change default query file directory in SSMS 2008R2.

• I am moving from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008R2.

Using SQL Query Analyzer for SQL Server 2000 I could go to:

Tools > Options > General > Query file directory and change the location here so whenever I clicked on File Open this default directory would come up.

I would like to change the default file location for scripts in Sql Server Management Studio 2008R2.

I have searched the internet for a solution but only found some items pointing to registry changes and they were not very clear.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to change the default location for scripts in Sql Server Management Studio 2008R2?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Howard

• This article details how you can change the default directory: http://visualstudiohacks.com/options/changing-the-my-projects-folder-location-and-other-settings-in-ssms/

• Thank you for your reply.

This appears to be exactly what I was looking for except that I cannot get it to work.

I changed <PropertyValue name="ProjectsLocation">%vsspv_visualstudio_dir%\Projects</PropertyValue>

to

<PropertyValue name="ProjectsLocation">\\server01\c$\d-drive\jcc_membership\howard\member\sql_queries</PropertyValue>

but it did not seem to change anything. When I click on file > open > file in SSMS the directory has not changed from the default.

Can you see a problem with my change? I know the path is valid since I cut it and pasted it into the start > run box and it brought up the directory.

Any help would be apprecated.

Howard

• I just tried it on my home machine and work machine with no luck.

I found another article that recommended adding a VisualStudioProjectsLocation entry to the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shell and I tried that as well and it didn’t work either. I changed the VisualStudioProjectsLocation key to match the ProjectsLocation attribute in the configuration file and that didn’t work either.

The default location has to be stored somewhere and it’s either in a config file or the registry but everything I’ve seen so far has not worked.

• Problem solved.

Below is a link that lead me to the solution which is a registry change.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6825306/change-the-default-save-location-for-sql-management-studio-2008

The register key is DefaultFileOpenLocation.

I changed this registry key and it worked.

Thanks to all for your help in this matter.

Howard

• Thank you. Worked for me. 🙂

Julian

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply