How to change CDC automatic cleanup process?

• Hi

I've read in one of the articles as mentioned below:

In CDC this there is automatic cleanup process that runs at regular intervals. By default the interval is of 3 days but it can be configured. We have observed that, when we enable CDC on the database, there is one additional system stored procedure created with the name sys.sp_cdc_cleanup_change_table which cleans up all the tracked data at interval.

In our application we have created a trigger which posts entries to audit trial table. The data will be retained & will never be deleted.

Can anyone please let me know how to change the CDC cleanup interval from default 3 days to 100 days?

Rgds

Mohan Kumar VS

• [font="Courier New"]

EDIT:

You could use sys.sp_cdc_change_job sp to change the retention using @retention paramter.

[ @retention ] =retention

Number of minutes that change rows are to be retained in change tables. retention is bigint with a default of NULL, which indicates no change for this parameter. The maximum value is 52494800 (100 years). If specified, the value must be a positive integer.

retention is valid only for cleanup jobs.

Mohan,

As far as I know, the custom deletion of data is NOT based on date interval, rather its LSN based and the SP to use is sys.sp_cdc_cleanup_change_table.

Ref:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatawarehousing/thread/d31167cc-ddbb-4e1e-b266-105569ff9bb2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510449.aspx

[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/[/url][/font]

• Sankar Reddy (7/17/2010)

[font="Courier New"]As far as I know, the custom deletion of data is NOT based on date interval, rather its LSN based and the SP to use is sys.sp_cdc_cleanup_change_table.[/font]

Isn't that only if you want to run clean-up manually?

As far as I recall, CDC sets up a SQL Agent clean up job which is configurable, defaulting to three days.

It's very much like replication in that respect.

The function sys.fn_cdc_map_lsn_to_time is available to map LSNs to committed times.

I don't recall the exact mechanism for altering the default of three days - maybe it's in the job, maybe it's in the msdb.dbo.cdc_jobs table?

• Paul,

yep, thats an oversight and will update my earlier post. You could use sys.sp_cdc_change_job to specify the retention time. Jonathan Kehayias also confirmed this.

[ @retention ] =retention

Number of minutes that change rows are to be retained in change tables. retention is bigint with a default of NULL, which indicates no change for this parameter. The maximum value is 52494800 (100 years). If specified, the value must be a positive integer.

Thanks for the correction.

[font="Courier New"]Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/[/url][/font]

• Sankar Reddy (7/17/2010)

You could use sys.sp_cdc_change_job to specify the retention time.

Ah! That was it - sys.sp_cdc_change_job - I didn't have a CDC instance to hand to test so thanks for reminding me of that.

Paul

• @ Paul & Sankar,

Hi,

My appologize for Replying for a Outdated Post, but I think this might be Useful for the Newbie from this point.

please have the Example of Changing the CDC Cleanup Retention time as below.

USE [Your_DB_Name]

GO

/* 60: refers minutes for 1 Hour & 24: refer the Hours for the Day */

SELECT*,([retention])/((60*24)) AS Default_Retention_days

FROMmsdb.dbo.cdc_jobs

GO

EXEC [Your_DB_Name].sys.sp_cdc_change_job

@job_type=N'Cleanup'

,@retention=43200

GO

SELECT*,([retention])/((60*24)) AS Default_Retention_days

FROMmsdb.dbo.cdc_jobs

GO

Thanks,

Prabhu

(Hope this may helps...)

• This is Exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks For the nice post Prabhu

• Thank you Prabhu, very helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply