How to capture DNS alias info

• Hi,

Is there a way in Sql server to capture the "DNS alias" being used in the connection string? Applications are connecting using either the "DNS alias" or the "network name" of the sql server machine. We would like every application to connect using DNS alias hence we have to perform an audit of all the apps connecting to Sql server.

Thanks in advance.

• In SQL Server you can see most of the connected application-names, but you cann't see if they connect through a DNS-alias or not. You have to look at the connection string defined in the application(s) to see how they connect to SQL Server.

Maybe some DNS-tools/commands are available to see the usage of DNS-aliasses, but I am not familiar with that. Perhaps you could ask your Windows/network team to assist.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Do you mean NSLOOKUP?

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• SSCCommitted,

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to somehow identify the The connection info for for Data source in the config file same way we can identify the AppName and Workstation names. Seems like there is no way to do it at least from my research thus far.

Regarding the double post, I had to post it again under the "Administration" section since the post under "General" was getting views but no responses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply