How to call database from another server??

• How to call database from another server while trying to set up a job on the reports server.

I currently have a job set up on on Server S now I exactly want the same job set up on the reports server to get some consistency.

Is there a way I can call database from another server while creating a job on reports server?

• The following is the step 1 on the job on Server S

SELECT LoanID

FROM ACHWebPayments Where (DraftDate > CONVERT (date, GETDATE()) and exported is null) and (DateRequested > CONVERT (date, GETDATE()) and exported is null)

GROUP BY LoanID HAVING ( COUNT(*) > 1 )

if @@ROWCOUNT > 0

begin

USE msdb

EXEC sp_start_job @job_name = 'D26B10DC-96B4-XXXX-XXXX-99CB2085CA01'

end

job: 'D26B10DC-96B4-XXXX-XXXX-99CB2085CA01' also happens to be on the server S

• Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

• I'm not sure I follow 100%, but at the very least, you'll need a linked server and to fully qualify your table names in your sql statements. Even the EXEC statement on msdb will need fully qualified with the linked server name. I'm not sure this will work, but it's worth a try on your end.

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John,

I have added linked Server S with report server. Can you please give an example of what would be considered as a fully qualified code.

Also when I write the code in Step 1, what database should I select? (model, master, msdb, etc)

• SQLPain (10/7/2015)

John,

I have added linked Server S with report server. Can you please give an example of what would be considered as a fully qualified code.

Also when I write the code in Step 1, what database should I select? (model, master, msdb, etc)

Fully qualified query:

SELECT jb.*

FROM [MyLinkedServer].msdb.dbo.sysjobs jb

where jb.job_name = 'D26B10DC-96B4-XXXX-XXXX-99CB2085CA01'

--openquery version:

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY([MyLinkedServer],'SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs where job_name = ''D26B10DC-96B4-XXXX-XXXX-99CB2085CA01'' ;')

--run a remote command

EXEC ('EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_start_job @job_name = ''D26B10DC-96B4-XXXX-XXXX-99CB2085CA01'' ;') AT [MyLinkedServer]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Once you have your link server created you can just select catalogs for the linked server you created and drag and drop to the window. It must be in the order shown in the previous comment.

• Thank you guys, where do I drag and drop the Catalog folder?

• He just means that you can use the object browser to find your table under the linked server. When you drag an item from the object browser into the query window, it gives you a fully qualified object name.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply