how to backup a database file in sql server 2005 to my system

• Hi

Is that possable to take backup file to my system.

Say there is a server and my system connected locally with LAN i want to take bckup of the of one database from Server to my system and restore in my Server.

I have Shared a folder which can be access in another server.Can backup file be able to backup in that Path.

Thanks in advance

Parthi :smooooth:

Thanks
    Parthi

• If the service account running SQL Server and SQL Server Agent has access to the shared folder then yes, you can backup to that folder. If you are not running from a domain user - then no, you will not be able to.

What you can do is backup locally to a shared folder, and then use that shared folder when restoring onto your desktop. Be aware that this method is going to be a lot slower than restoring from a local copy of the backup.

I would recommend copying the backup file locally and restoring from the local file instead. You'll find it takes a lot less time than restoring across a network.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Williams

How to check the service account running SQL Server and SQL Server Agent has access to the shared folder in ms sql 2000/2005

Cheers

Thanks
    Parthi

• You don't check that from SQL Server - you check that from Windows. That is normal file share security.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• parthi (6/26/2009)

Thanks Williams

How to check the service account running SQL Server and SQL Server Agent has access to the shared folder in ms sql 2000/2005

Cheers

Check out for the ID of the job owner. Provide read/write access to this ID on the shared folder(if not already provided).

Pradeep Singh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply