How to add NTFS computer account permissions

• I'm having an issue with a SQL 2008 R2 cluster. Recently I had to move the system databases off a faulty LUN to a newly added drive. This all went fine, until a scheduled fail-over event when the SQL instance would not start on the opposite server due to a permissions error (OS error 5) on the master.mdf file. Failing back to the original server works fine.

Looking at the old drive NTFS permissions, the only difference is that it has "MSSQL$InstanceName" user with full read/write access to the MSSQL\Data folder.

The new drive has full read/write permissions for a local windows group which has the SQL Server service account (domain\svcSQLaccount) as a member. This service account is running the SQL instance.

How do I get the "MSSQL$InstanceName" as an account to enable it full access to the new drive? The account does not appear when attempting to add it via NTFS security permissions on the folder.

• Following up to this in case anyone ever reads it.. a simple fix.. add the user "NT Service\MSSQL$InstanceName" which then appears as "MSSQL$InstanceName" to the DATA folder NTFS permissions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply