How to add CustomerID and LastName to the file name in SSIS?

• There are several text files that are saved in a local driver. The file names are:

Each file has only one record. The record includes fields of CustomerID, FirstName, LastName, and SubmittedDate, see below.

I would like to add CustomerID, LastName and CurrentDate to the file name. The format for file name is CustomID_LastName_FileName_CurrentDate.

Thanks in advance.

• What technique are you using to create the files? A data flow within a loop, perhaps?

What method are you currently using to name the files? Script task? Dynamic variable? Something else?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I use a Data Flow Task within For Loop Container to split rows into files and save to a local drive. The file names are from a variable 'Counter' that is used in Flat File Connection Manager expression.

Thank you!

• This is an interesting one. This is what I would try, I think:

First, change the way that the file-naming works. I'd use a static file name (somefile.txt, or whatever), and add a task to rename the file after the dataflow task completes, but inside the For Loop container.

The rename would be from somefile.txt to a variable User::filename.

User::filename would be set inside the dataflow task. Add a Script Component transformation between source and target and add User::filename to the read/write variables collection. Add CustomerId, LastName to the Input Columns collection.

A simple bit of C# will allow you to set the value of User::filename as required.

If you have full control over the filename format, I'd suggest you consider using YYYYMMDD_CustId_Surname.txt instead, where YYYYMMDD is 'today'. If you do this and ever find you have files in a folder created over a number of days, you'll easily be able to sort the filenames by creation date in File Explorer.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Many thanks! How to use a static file name because the variable Counter is dynamic?

• sxzhu wrote:

Many thanks! How to use a static file name because the variable Counter is dynamic?

Edit your package in VS and change the definition of the flat file destination so that it no longer uses Counter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply