How Often Do You Update During Issues?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item How Often Do You Update During Issues?

• How often do you update?  I think it depends on your role in the situation.  I spent 42 years in IT including 11 years as manager of an installation so here's my take.  We all know the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

As a technical person working on the fastest solution, you probably need to be left alone as much as possible to focus on the problem instead of having your thought process interrupted so many times.

As a manger, you probably need to focus on handling outside interactions and running interference for your technical people to allow them to focus.    Also, you need to know your processes well enough that you can handle the outside activity yourself without needing to interrupt your technical folks to get constant updates.

So, there!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• I do agree with you, Steve, that it would be best if there were someone who could notify users regularly during a crisis, so the technical staff can focus on the issue, rather than field users demands to know what's going on. I've not been in the situation often (thank God), but when I have, it was always the most  stressful experience I ever had. Unfortunately, at the time we were too small of an IT staff, so there was no one who could field users' questions and run interference for the IT staff. I never want to experience that kind of stress again.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• "My concern, however, was that multiple times they noted they would post updates soon, but there were some pretty good gaps in the status messages. While I liked a few quick messages together (3 in 30 minutes), the long gaps are disconcerting to me as a customer. I expect management would feel the same way and hopefully, management was updated more often."

I wish that companies like Atlassian would learn this when they have an outage instead of copy-pasting memos and ghosting customers paying over 10k a month. Would have killed for 3 updates in 30 minutes but instead got ghosted for a week.

• Same. It really requires someone that cares and empathizes with what people see on the outside. And support from management to be more transparent, even if not detailed.

• Audionova wrote:

"My concern, however, was that multiple times they noted they would post updates soon, but there were some pretty good gaps in the status messages. While I liked a few quick messages together (3 in 30 minutes), the long gaps are disconcerting to me as a customer. I expect management would feel the same way and hopefully, management was updated more often."

I wish that companies like Atlassian would learn this when they have an outage instead of copy-pasting memos and ghosting customers paying over 10k a month. Would have killed for 3 updates in 30 minutes but instead got ghosted for a week.

If you had asked me for an update 3 times in 30 minutes I'd have walked out and gone home.  Of course, I was an independant SOB for years.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• An update every 30 minutes is a bit much, but depends on the situation. If I'm with a real time system, then I might want this. Certainly I've had incident groups that needed this for management. In many cases, I think an hourly update is sufficient.

Really, every time I updated my management, I'd expect some scribe to update a website with a public version of the update, less detail, transparent, but not disclosing anything that could be an issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply