How not to aggregate on numeric fields

•  

Hey everyone,

I have this code with which I am trying not to aggregate on two columns HistoryQuantity and TOTFCST. I keep getting this error

Column 'SCPOMGR.HISTWIDE_CHAIN.HistoryQuantity' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause

I don't think I should group by numeric columns.

Is there any way around this?

-- WAPE (chain)
    SET ARITHABORT OFF
    SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF

SELECT
    b.[LOC], b.[DMDUNIT],
    ABS(b.HistoryQuantity - a.TOTFCST) AS 'Abs Error',
    SUM(b.HistoryQuantity) AS 'Sum of Actuals',
    SUM(ABS((b.HistoryQuantity - a.TOTFCST))) AS 'Sum of Abs Error',
    SUM(ABS((b.HistoryQuantity - a.TOTFCST))) / SUM(b.HistoryQuantity) AS 'WAPE'
    FROM
    SCPOMGR.FCSTPERFSTATIC a
    JOIN
    SCPOMGR.HISTWIDE_CHAIN b ON a.[STARTDATE] = b.[DMDPostDate]
    AND a.[DMDUNIT] = b.[DMDUNIT]
    AND a.[LOC] = b.[LOC]
    GROUP BY
    b.[LOC], b.[DMDUNIT], b.[DMDPostDate]
    ORDER BY
    b.[LOC]
  • ABS is not an aggregate function & that is your problem, I think. If you changed that to

SUM(ABS(b.HistoryQuantity - a.TOTFCST))

it might resolve your issue.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil thank you.

• If you are doing an aggregation every field must be either an aggregation type or included in the GROUP BY.

If you don't want it aggregated then you will need to exclude it from the query and then bring in back in using a second query.  Alternatively you may find that SUM() OVER() provides a solution and is more readable than SUM().... GROUP BY

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply