How much RAM in an Azure Database on Pay As You Go

• Ive been doing some benchmark testing using an application, running this on my local SQL Server Instance

and our production server.

Both have 16GB RAM...and it takes around 36 seconds to process data (600,000 records) and run these through a complicated

aggregation program.

Specs

Local Instance  ->  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz  ;  16GB RAM

Production Server -> Intel(R) Zeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @3.40 GHz 3.39 GHZ ; 16 GB RAM

Now when i run the same program on an Azure database created through Pay As You Go....it is taking much much longer

...at around 16 Minutes to process the data!

Does anyone know the basic spec of the server hosting an Azure SQL Database on Pay As You go..ie in terms of CPU/RAM etc?

Ive read the documentation on DTU (Database Transaction Units) but its really hard to break this down into how much CPU and RAM is being used.

• If you want to use DTU based pricing, you need to know your workload first.

First you need to capture 4 metrics - "Processor - % processor time", "Logical Disk - Disk Reads/sec", "Logical Disk - Disk Writes/sec" and "Database - Log Bytes Flushed/sec".

Once you know this you can calculate the right DTU size for your workload.

In terms of CPU/RAM in the DTU mode this information is not provided.

However if you want specific amounts of RAM you need to look at the vCore pricing instead.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply