How much memory is via AWE?

• I might be looking at things the wrong way, but in SQL 2000 how can I work out how much of SQL Server's memory is via AWE?

• Is ur operating system 32 bit or 64 bit? On what operating system do you have your SQL installed?Thanks.

• 32 bit Windows 2003

• Well, in that case if u have enabled AWE and not set maximum allowed memory for SQL server, then it will take all the memory available on ur system leaving 128MB or less for other applications. It will not release that memory even if it doesnt needs it.

• As I said, is it possible to work out how much of that is via AWE? Thanks. 🙂

• I would just guess then if u have SQL 2000 enterprise edition then without AWE enabled u will have maximum of 4 GB memory regardless of what u have set ur maximum memory in ur server.

With AWE enabled, depending on ur operating system, SQL will take more memory:

For Windows 2003(With AWE enabled)

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition supports physical memory up to 4 GB.

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports physical memory up to 32 GB.

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports physical memory up to 64 GB.

• Actually that's a fair point. Many thanks. 🙂

• If you have the /PAE switch set - then the first 3GB of memory would not be AWE memory and everything above that would be AWE. If this switch is not set - then the first 2GB of memory is not AWE and the rest will be.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply