How much Disk IO is Required for particular sql 2000 or 2005?

• Hi

Please suggest on the following :

How can we know that any particular SQL database running in any organisation is required 'n' of Disk IOs ?

Basically if we have good Disk structure, then querry generated from SQL DB is also going to be faster.

Can anybody suggest that how do we find that my sql server is supporting this much IO and for better performance i required __no of IOs so that we can design Disk Structure accordingly ?

This will help us to suggest clients that the particular server where their db resides support this much IO and we require __ much IO for better perfromance over the period of time?

How to test this from SQL OR any third party software ?

Please suggest on above

Vrijesh

• There far too many variables to consider when looking at defining a good disk configuration to recommend but we use information based on read / write activity and stall information over time to see where we need to improve. So, you could use the query select * from sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats (DB_ID('YourDB'), 1) to collect data at timed intervals and analyze the differences to get the information you need over time and then do some analysis based on your configuration, the number of users you have, amount of data, etc.

There are 3rd party products which can do some of this for you as well. I believe Quest has a product called capacity manager which does most / all of this as well.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply