how many ways i can encrypt data in my tables in sqlexpress 2016 and 2019

• I have used xml for clause , varchars and image cols

q1) Please tell me how many ways i can encrypt data in tables in sql express 2016 and 2019

yours sincerely

• This sounds like a homework / interview question.

What answers did you give?

• I agree with Ant-Green - this sounds like a homework question. And it is very vague and I am a bit confused what you mean by your first statement of "I have used xml for clause, varchars and image cols"... what does that mean? Do you mean you had 3 columns, one that was named "Clause" and one that was a VARCHAR type and another that is an image type? If so, I'd scrap that image column as that datatype is not supported.

Alternately, do you mean you have 1 column that is XML type that contains the Clause, varchars (strings) and image data? If so, I would change that as XML processing is not that fast in SQL UNLESS you are just storing the XML for the sake of passing it to the application without doing any analytics or processing of that data inside SQL.

Lastly, the question is very vague too. Are they asking how many encryption algorithms are available in SQL for encrypting data at the table level OR are they asking how many different methods can be used to encrypt the data?

Now, ignoring the ambiguity that I was asking about above, I am pretty sure that google will give you the answer, or hopefully you learned this in a class. A bit weird that it is specific to Express and 2016 or 2019 and skips over 2017 and standard and enterprise editions, which makes me think that this is more of an interview question than a homework question UNLESS it is to encourage you to look it up. Books OnLine (aka BOL) is a good resource. Basically, check the manual as Microsoft provides all of this information.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• hi,

it is not clear that in this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/always-encrypted-database-engine?view=sql-server-ver15

what they mean by writing following

"Queries on columns encrypted by using randomized encryption can't perform operations on any of those columns"

• Random encryption is just that, each value is encrypted using a random value.

The optimiser would have to “try” to decrypt the values at run time row by row, resulting in a full table scan and very slow performance.

You should not use random encryption for columns which need to be joined, indexed, grouped, sorted, aggregated etc.  For that use deterministic encryption instead.

• is it possible to run Always Encrypted with secure enclaves on windows 10 pro with sqlserver express 2019,

as i noticed in this link they said u need "The HGS computer to run Host Guardian Service, which is needed for enclave attestation."

HGS computer requirements

Windows Server 2019 Standard or Datacenter edition

and i have windows 10 pro , so is it possible to run enclaves on windows 10 pro?

• one more thing does deterministic encryption type supports order by because this article says https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/always-encrypted-enclaves?view=sql-server-ver15

"

Deterministic encryption supports the following operations involving equality comparisons:

= (Equals) in point lookup, searches, and joins

IN

SELECT - GROUP BY

DISTINCT"

that means order by is not supported in diterministic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply