How many Error Log files and hwo to check locations?

• All,

A very basci question.

How many SQL Server error log files, I know SQL Server Engin error log and SQL Server Agent Error Log?

And how to check the locations, any scipt will be great?

Thanks

• Yes there are two Error Logs. SQL Server Error Log and SQL Server Agent error log. You can easily read them using sp_readerrorlog stored procedure. More information here[/url]

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• SQL stores logs for the engine and the agent.

The logs are generally stored in the LOG folder of the engines data root folder (eg c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\log).

You can also view the agent log location through the registry \\hkey local machine\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server\mssql.1(or named instance)\sqlserveragent. The engine log location can be viewed though the sql server configuration manager on the advanced settings tab of the service.

HTH

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Adiga & Adam:

Thanks for the reply.

I remember there are 5 log files on SQL Server 2005. Could you offer other three and default location like SQL Server Engin error log file is in \program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\log?

Thanks

• YTZ (10/29/2010)

Adiga & Adam:

Thanks for the reply.

I remember there are 5 log files on SQL Server 2005. Could you offer other three and default location like SQL Server Engin error log file is in \program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.1\mssql\log?

Thanks

Please see my post where i gave the two ways to track down the various log paths. Yes you can look at the ..\MSSQL\LOG folders but to be sure what SQL is looking at, use my suggestions.

HTH

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply