How many environments?

• Stuart Davies (8/17/2015)

I have two:

Live

and my laptop.

This can often make my life "interesting" as the Live servers are running SQL 7 , 2000, 2005, 2008 R2 and 2012.

Don't talk to me about end of life support :angry:

The server's end of life support... or your's? 🙂

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• 1. Development - a sandbox for developers and designers.

2. Test - which closely emulates the production environment, for user acceptance testing.

3. Production - where everything we thought worked perfectly in development and test crashes and burns.

Question for anyone working in a small shop (which I'll define here as five or fewer developers): do you use a source control management system? If so, which one, please? If not, do you have any manual processes for promoting code from one environment to the next?

Thanks.

• GoofyGuy (8/17/2015)

Question for anyone working in a small shop (which I'll define here as five or fewer developers): do you use a source control management system? If so, which one, please? If not, do you have any manual processes for promoting code from one environment to the next?

Thanks.

I'm the sole IT person at our company. I use SSMS and Tortoise SVN in Explorer for T/SQL source code control. For promoting changes through the chain I use Red Gate's SQL Compare and to back haul current data for testing/development I use SQL Data Compare.

Works a treat. 😀

• Developement

Beta

Test

Staging

Production

• - Developer personal environment

- Test (where the Systems Analyst tests, and bug fixes are applied)

- QA (where User Acceptance Testing occurs)

- Production

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• Development (multiple instances for different scheduled releases and sometimes split between projects within releases)
    • Component Integration Testing (multiple instances again based upon different scheduled releases)
    • System Testing (multiple instances again based upon different scheduled releases)
    • Performance Testing (multiple instances again based upon different scheduled releases)
    • Pre-production
    • Production (I am ignoring DR environments as I always ignore them as they are someone else's responsibility thankfully)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply