How is data stored on disk?

• Hi all, I have a question about SQL 2000 running on Win 2000.  If we have four 73G drives mapped as one drive (D, and lets say that I create a table and import 100 million rows into this table...does the data get spread across all four drives or does Windows start writing the data to drive 1 until its full and then write to drive 2, and so on?

Thanks for your help.

• How are they combined? Windows can do it either way.

• Hi Steve,

They are combined to be one drive to Windows.  As far as windows is conncerned, its drive D:  In what instances does the data get stored across all 4 drives and in what instances it doesn't?   Thanks again.

• Sorry, are they a volume set or a striped set? In a volume set, I believe things are written one drive at a time until it is full. However, if you lose a drive, you lose everything.

In a stripe set, everything is written to all drives at once. If you lose a drive you lose everything. If you stripe w/ parity, you can lose 1 drive.

• Thank you very much Steve.  So, if I understand you correctly, on RAID 5 (which is what we have), then the data is spread across all drives?

• Correct shahgols, RAID 5 is Stripe set with parity.  In other words, all of the data is written across all the drives and you could loose one drive and not loose your data.

- JH

• Thank you everyone, that is the exact info I needed! 

• There is a good explantion of different raid levels at

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_05.html

Michael R. Schmidt
    Developer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply