How is access (read,write) granted to NT user logins?

• I have a user who is trying to edit a Crystal report. She is getting ODBC errors. When I investigate, I first log using her credentials. When I open OBBC32ad.exe and examine the System datasource, the database tied to this Crystal report is not listed in the drop down of Databases. If I log into the same computer with my login, all the databases are present in the ODBC dialog. I have Domain Admin rights.

There is another Database, Data_02, which she does have access. So I looked for differences between the two but did not find any.

I think the issue is permissions. I know very, very little about this subject. I probably have had to address a security question twice in 20 years.

When I open the Security node of the Server tree in SSMS, I can find her NT username (SW) under the Login branch. When I examine the Properties I cannot find a clue as to why she does not have access to Data_101 But does have access to Data_02. I cannot see differences between the two.

When I examine first Data_02 and then Data_101 in the Databases node, the SW login is not listed under Security>> Users for either database.

I have attached screen shots of all the screens I described above.

I would really appreciate your assistance in giving this user access to Data_101. And an explanation of how is Data_02 set up differently.

Thanks,

pat

• First upload failed. Trying a Zip file of the pdf

• Third try

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Sorry, I won't even attempt to open the ZIP file. Preferably you can attach the images inline...

To try to answer your question: normally you require local admin rights to open ODBC Data Source Administrator; if both of you can open the console, then both of you should have the same permissions (full administrator rights) and should see the same list of DSNs. Typically applications create "System DSN" entries.

Depending on your OS and your setup, could you be referencing the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of ODBC, which look very similar but are separate:

%windir%\system32\odbcad32.exe [64-bit version]

%windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe [32-bit version]

Crystal Reports can be a complex setup; I haven't done it for years, so can't really comment. Applications might manage their own set of users, and have a single service account which connects to the database(s), so you may not see all the users with individual logins in MSSQL.

• Andy,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry about the zip. I was looking for a way to attach a doc of some sort. I ruled out Word. Thought PDF would be ok but was not. So I put up the zip. I won't do that again.

As it turns out, in this instance it is controlled by Active Directory (?). What I know is that I told the 3rd party network consultant. He granted her Domain Admin rights (I know. Crazy) and it worked. Today they have reduced her rights to ddlReader and ddlWriter. She hasn't tested yet.

Thanks again for your time.

pat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply