How Hard is Kubernetes?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item How Hard is Kubernetes?

• Great article, as always, Steve. How do you (or others) encourage coworkers to gain DevOps, automation, etc. skills to improve their jobs?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Self interest.

If I'm talking to you, I ask you. what if you upset your boss tomorrow and he/she let you go? What do you do? How easy is it to find a job, or more importantly, a good job that benefits you? These skills are useful there.

Side benefit, these skills can make this job easier as well, though it might be hard to get people to change.

For the boss,

we're going to be in this business for awhile. We could get more done, and get new people up to speed, and we can respond quicker so less people complain to you (or give you more money). Let's slowly try to make things better. Again, self-interest.

FWIW, I would not learn K8s beyond just understanding what is does. It's too big a management hassle and the benefits require a lot of changes from a lot of things. Going to containers is not easy, simple, or quick. It's not pick 1 or 2 of three, it's all three are hard.

• That's why we are still using VM's. Containers / K8 are next level in management

• Thank you, Steve. 🙂

• Rod at work wrote:

Great article, as always, Steve. How do you (or others) encourage coworkers to gain DevOps, automation, etc. skills to improve their jobs?

Easy. Why does the business not want to rebuild all their infrastructure with a push of a button? DevOps helps accomplish that.

In a world where being offline can costs the business thousands if not millions of dollars, who doesn't want DevOps to decrease their downtime?

• glenswan wrote:

Rod at work wrote:

Great article, as always, Steve. How do you (or others) encourage coworkers to gain DevOps, automation, etc. skills to improve their jobs?

Easy. Why does the business not want to rebuild all their infrastructure with a push of a button? DevOps helps accomplish that.

In a world where being offline can costs the business thousands if not millions of dollars, who doesn't want DevOps to decrease their downtime?

I do not know, but I do encounter resistance. I suspect there are reasons they don't share with me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply