How Far Have You Traveled for a SQL Saturday?

• I live in Italy. As a speaker, my horizon is finite to Europe. I was in Denmark, Bulgaria, Spain and of course Italy. But the speaker's approach is different from attendees.

As attende I'm limited to northern Italy, say 200 km radius. The furthermost event I attended was SQL Saturday Slovenia, as I think it's really a great event.

• I have been to one SQL Saturday in Austin/Round Rock, TX Jan 30 from south of Houston. Was about 200 miles each way and I did as a day trip. Well worth it. Unfortunately I was unable to attend SQL Saturday Houston held 3 miles from my house.

• I went to SQL Saturday New York last year. It was about a 25-30 miles away. I took public transportation, so it ended up being a little more than an hour of travel time each way.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• About 50 miles, which is why the Manchester (UK) SQL Saturday is so appealing. Attended this year and last year.

Not a speaker and not convinced I know any aspect sufficiently to ever do so.

• First off Steve, I completely agree with you about the new ruling for the 600 mile radius. Having SQL Saturdays in close proximity back-to-back allows many to attend who otherwise would not be able to. It would tend to force out some of the smaller, lower budget events which I think are fabulous such as Columbus, OH where I spoke recently.

You're also correct about the perspective of a speaker and the range that you're willing to travel. As a speaker, I've traveled from Indianapolis as far as Salt Lake City, Denver, Las Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, and Cleveland while other locations such as Columbus and Louisville are relatively close (2-4 hour drives). As an attendee, I attended Las Vegas and Denver but I also had other reasons for being there as I'd probably not travel that far just to attend only.

In the past I flew to the farther locations, but now that my wife and I purchased a motorhome last year we make round trips for multiple events. As I work remotely, as long as I have internet I can do my day job, travel in the evening, and spend time with my wife who's happy to have the pets with us. If we have friends or family in a location, we'll plan a trip around a SQL Saturday to make the trip even more worth while (such as Tampa, Minneapolis or Dallas). This allows us to attend SQL Saturday events or visit places we ordinarily may not travel to or to stop at interesting locations on the way there or back. This new ruling could put the kibosh on these types of trips and prevent us from getting the most value from them.

• Unfortunately I have never been to a SQLSaturday. I live in Cincinnati and it looks like the closest ones to me have been in Columbus, which is about a 90 minute drive. I have driven that for before for a one day conference, but that is about the limit of what I would travel. 400 miles? 600 miles? Seriously? I would never even consider either one for a single day conference.

• I live in Kearney, Nebraska. Traveled to Denver in 2013 for SQL Saturday. I plan to go to the Lincoln, NE on in Nov. I'm willing to travel about 2-3 hours if driving, farther if easy to take the Amtrak there. Especially if venue is near public transportation.

• I haven't been to any (didn't know there was such a thing until I saw it mentioned in today's email), but I have been to a couple of SharePoint Saturdays. I live in Delaware, so I don't have much choice except to travel to one. I've traveled 90 miles (each way) for events in Baltimore and DC. It would be about the same distance if I chose to go to one in Philadelphia, as well.

• dmorris 44901 (7/29/2016)

I haven't been to any (didn't know there was such a thing until I saw it mentioned in today's email), but I have been to a couple of SharePoint Saturdays. I live in Delaware, so I don't have much choice except to travel to one. I've traveled 90 miles (each way) for events in Baltimore and DC. It would be about the same distance if I chose to go to one in Philadelphia, as well.

I haven't heard of SharePoint Saturdays before. Too bad I can't make it to tomorrow's in New York, it would've been helpful since I started doing more with SharePoint this year. I'll have to keep an eye on that for next year.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• My local SQLSat in Minneapolis (Minnesota USA) is fantastic & I get to every one.

I've been able to time my work at the company plant so I can attend Oklahoma City. Be in town working for the week, stay for the weekend, company pays for it!

Haven't yet been able to have enough work at the right time to justify a trip to the plants in Portland Oregon or Montreal, but I keep trying and will succeed someday.

• For the past couple of years I have tried to make at least one if not all three of the SQL Saturdays in Jacksonville (180 mi), Orlando (250 mi) and Tampa (275 mi) from my home in Tallahassee. If I can only make 1, it's Orlando, with Jax being my 2nd choice.

I go to attend and have not been a presenter (yet).

There are no facts, only interpretations.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

• LightVader (7/29/2016)

I haven't heard of SharePoint Saturdays before. Too bad I can't make it to tomorrow's in New York, it would've been helpful since I started doing more with SharePoint this year. I'll have to keep an eye on that for next year.

One of my co-workers will actually be at the one in New York tomorrow. I thought the ones in Baltimore and DC were well done, and I was able to meet a couple of consultants that we deal with that I had never met in person before.

New York is a pretty good hike for us (around 200 miles), so it definitely requires an overnight stay.

• 120 Miles

Madison, WI

nay

• I live in a northern suburb of Milwaukee and have traveled down to Chicago for SQL Saturday twice in the last three years. According to Google maps it is a 123 mile route each way, but my company reimbursed me for the miles. Since Milwaukee doesn't seem to have them, my closest choices are Madison or Chicago, and the Chicago one seems to get more popular speakers, on average. I'm just a listener, not a speaker.

I also attended a pre-con this year for Power BI, which has been hugely helpful as we roll out new BI infrastructure and reporting.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• I would be interested in attending an SQL day, but have never gone to SQL Saturday because it is on Sabbath.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply