How does SSDT work with existing databases?

• I'm on a team to start a new project, migrating an Excel spreadsheet to a SQL Server database, so we can write SSRS reports against it. One thing I'd really like to do is use SSDT to develop the database, something I've never done before, but I want to do this because as far as I know, none of our SQL code, database schemas, etc. are in source control. Since SSDT is in Visual Studio, I know I can put it there.

However, after we meet with the users of this spreadsheet, we'll probably import the whole thing, as is, into a new database. I know that the spreadsheet is several columns wide and naturally being a spreadsheet it's just one wide, flat table. From that I want to develop the database schema, and that's where SSDT comes in. But if we do it all within the same database, would that cause a problem when creating the new tables using SSDT?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• There are no technical reasons why this would cause problems.

But if your spreadsheet users change the schema of the spreadsheet, as users tend to do, those changes will have to be reflected in your db project.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Very good point, Phil. OK then, I'm going to proceed with sucking the spreadsheets into SQL and start playing around with it.

Thank you, Phil.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply