How do you write a top without top

• Ok first how did you define your connection to Unisql (the linkled server parameters)? Also with Oracle I found sometimes tables do not show up depending on the owner. To sse if that was the issue try

SET ROWCOUNT = 10

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(LINKEDSERVERNAME,'SELECT * FROM tblX (or the query syntax for unisql)')

Also are you able to connect with any applications now? If so, how do you make those connections, if ODBC use the OLE DB for ODBC connector and try it that way.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• This may sound like a dumb question but where do I write this query? there seems to be no place in the linked server options to run queries. I am using SQL Server 2000.

Matt

• I figured it out I think. I wrote it sql query analyzer under the master db. Well it pulled in data but when I used the Set rowcount = 10 it threw in an error.

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '='.

Can't I do that or is it just the unioledb providor being a meany? It didnt throw the unioledb error it is the standard normal MS sql error. I am using Sql server 2000 if that makes any difference.

Matt

• Sorry should have typed

SET ROCOUNT 10

not = 10. My mistake.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• OMG that worked. I am highly impressed. Though the query took 6 seconds to run. But its not indexed yet, hopefully if its indexed it will take 2 or less seconds to run. I dont know how much you know about ASP.NET but how would I write that using the OLEDB namespace or the sql namespace? Can I put it in a stored prodecure? and where would the best place to put it if I can? or can you point me to a link that demenstrates this?

I am overjoyed now. And I don't have to use the unix sql interpeter(it sux no copy and paste). Now I feel semi-releaved.

Thank you for all your help! its very much appricated.

Matt

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply