How do you point to image files in a table?

• I asked how do you store images in a table.

A few people said it was better to point to a image in a folder than to actually store the image in the table.

However, they didn't tell me how do you with a field point to a image.

Could someone please explain how do I have a field that is pointing to an image file in a folder?

Thanks,

Tony

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

• I guess, he probably meant to add a column to the table that will store the physical path of the image file.

--Ramesh

• Most times I've seen this done, it was in some sort of web application or document management app.

Basically, the location of the file is stored in the db, most times stored in a varchar() column something along the lines of, 'x:\myimages\folder1\image1.tif'. x of course being a network drive.

Then the application queries the database and passes the 'x:\myimages\folder1\image1.tif' to another part of the app that actually opens the file for display, editing etc.

Alternatively, you could have part of the path stored in the application variables and just a portion of the path in the database like 'folder1\image1.tif'. Then the application would assemble the path from the variable which would hold 'x:\myimages' and the dataset to build the complete path to pass on to another portion of the app to display/open the file.

hopefully that will clear up some of the confusion.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thank you. That makes sense.

If I am printing reports through Microsoft Office using VBA to supply the images that works well.

If I use Crystal Reports, I think I would need to actually store the image in the table.

In any event, thanks for explaining that it is a varchar field with the path.

Tony

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply