How do you know when it is time to leave a job?

• Very good article, Ben. I tend to forget that fear is a reason people (myself included) stay too long at a job. Makes me look back at my career with a skeptical eye.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• In my case, I moved at relatively appropriate times. I moved on from one job because I had an opportunity for a large pay increase and moving to an area with better opportunities (at the time) than the area in which I then resided. The next job was unexpected. I was pretty content where I was, knew the systems (built a lot of them), had a decent amount of trust with management, the commute wasn't horrible, though not great, I liked my co-workers. However, the opportunity came up to work with a different type of software in the church market and that was (and still is) quite interesting to me. That led to a pay cut, but a shorter commute, more time with family, and learning a lot of interesting things along the way. Sadly, they were bought out. The initial changes were minimal, but then new management took over the parent company and the changes were pretty drastic to the point that I really didn't enjoy the job. I stayed there longer than I should because I have a passion for the industry, but should have sought a way out sooner. I did move on to a much better position for me and like where I am and what I do. That probably wouldn't have happened if I'd left sooner. I get asked somewhat regularly if I'd be interested in management and I keep telling them that I like working with SQL. I don't think I'd be successful as a manager. 🙂

• My current employer is my first ever full time job out of college... started here in 1985 as a data entry person just to get my foot in the door and quickly moved up the ladder to being the first ever SQL Server DBA here back in 1996. I have stayed because it I control the SQL Server environment and I know it all because I have installed and maintained it all myself. For the last 4 years I have had a great boss, the company is doing well, we have a SUPER DBA team here. Many in IT and the company rave that the DBA team is the best functioning dept in all of IT. Have I looked over the years, yes, but I am very well paid and have a good bonus as well.

• Yet Another DBA (7/22/2016)

Time to leave?

Hmm, with some companies its the day after I started.

That's sad you didn't know that before you started.

• For my current job I'll leave when I retire from work altogether.

• I've found it's time to leave when I stop getting the opportunity to learn new things. If I see all the new projects being assigned to other people and get vague answers when I ask why I know I'm ready to go.

I never mind being in maintenance mode as long as I'm also being involved with what's going forward. As soon as I lose the second part I polish up my resume and start making calls.

• That's a pretty good guideline to go by, JustMarie.

• .. The situation changed slowly. So slowly, I didn’t totally notice at first. I found my co-workers and boss took me for granted. More and more I was only doing support and very little new development. I noticed in the past, my design suggestions used to be considered and listen to; now, they seemed to be ignored ...

Even the best of us can end up in a stable but sexless job at some point, but it's harder to leave when you're well into your 30's or beyond with a mortgage and family to support. You may even fool yourself or silently suffer for a couple of years in an effort to make it work. :crying:

Then one day, probably while driving home from a 2am disaster recovery call, you'll turn on the radio and hear this ...

" .. At first I was afraid, I was petrified

.. Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side

.. But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong

.. And I grew strong

And I learned how to get along ..

.. And you see me, somebody new

.. I'm not that chained up little person still in love with you

.. And so you felt like dropping in and just expect me to be free

.. But now I'm saving all my loving for someone who's loving me

.. And I'll survive, I will survive, hey hey"

:Wow:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• If you're a good DBA, Developer or Architect it's time to go when you don't love what you're doing. The market is too starved for talent to be at a job you kinda like or don't like at all.

I took a 70% pay cut in 1998 to leave technology sales and become a level 1 help desk guy - the new paychecks made me sad but I got promoted 3 times in four years. I had never been promoted before in my life.

I took a small paycut in 2010 when I quit my DBA job to be a BI Developer. I also went from periodic phone calls at 2AM to not having a phone. Today I make good money writing SQL code and designing SSIS packages (with a periodic diversion into powershell or Tableau) and love what I do. When I don't like it anymore I'll do something else.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• If, "The market is too starved for talent to be at a job you kinda like or don't like at all.", I don't see any evidence of it. What I see is people holding on for dear life, because there's no jobs out there.

• Eric M Russell (7/25/2016)

.. The situation changed slowly. So slowly, I didn’t totally notice at first. I found my co-workers and boss took me for granted. More and more I was only doing support and very little new development. I noticed in the past, my design suggestions used to be considered and listen to; now, they seemed to be ignored ...

Even the best of us can end up in a stable but sexless job at some point, but it's harder to leave when you're well into your 30's or beyond with a mortgage and family to support. You may even fool yourself or silently suffer for a couple of years in an effort to make it work. :crying:

Then one day, probably while driving home from a 2am disaster recovery call, you'll turn on the radio and hear this ...

"

.. And I'll survive, I will survive, hey hey"

:Wow:

There is a system of thinking "Feel the fear and do it anyway", stayed in too many jobs where restriction were financial, social or just plain fear of nothing out there..........There is!! :-).

Everyone I have worked with has been successful after redundancy or leaving, experience counts!!

Susan Jeffers wrote the book to which I refer............

• Rod at work (7/26/2016)

If, "The market is too starved for talent to be at a job you kinda like or don't like at all.", I don't see any evidence of it. What I see if people holding on for dear life, because there's no jobs out there.

The IT industry has cranked out a lot of workers with two-year technical diplomas, certifications, or just passing interest. There are a lot of warm bodies out there willing and (somewhat) able to do the job. However, I believe there is a shortage of 90th percentile talent. If you're looking for someone with enough experience to build up a proper database solution or effectively respond to a 2am emergency support call, the candidates are sparse.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Rod at work (7/26/2016)

If, "The market is too starved for talent to be at a job you kinda like or don't like at all.", I don't see any evidence of it. What I see if people holding on for dear life, because there's no jobs out there.

Maybe I'm viewing the world from my big city bubble 😉 and I know it's not like that everywhere but if you're in Chicago (me), NY, LA, San Fran/Silicon Valley, DC, Houston, Seattle or a few other big cities I have not thought of - there's a talent gap. Especially for good SQL/BI folks, as well as people with cloud or big data skills. In Chicago I've seen many 6-figure DBA, SQL Developer and BI jobs remain open for many months, more than a year in some cases.

Albuquerque is 32nd largest US city - it's going to be tighter in your neck of the woods. Do a search for SQL jobs in Albuquerque then compare that to Chicago or even Phoenix. The job market is much better in the bigger cities.

but even small cities will see more opportunity in the coming years (recession or not).

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• When you are well paid it is sometimes difficult to take on too much responsibility from your extended family. By responsibility I mean £££ (that's $$$ for those the other side of the pond - apologies to everyone else ;-)).

It is difficult to stand by when you see family members being housed poorly or close to losing everything. This can stick you in a permanent rat race for the money. In this case it is difficult to keep moving for technological reasons but you have to try. Not only do the rewards keep coming as you maintain valuable skills, it is also easier to keep going.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Eric M Russell (7/26/2016)

Rod at work (7/26/2016)

The IT industry has cranked out a lot of workers with two-year technical diplomas, certifications, or just passing interest. There are a lot of warm bodies out there willing and (somewhat) able to do the job. However, I believe there is a shortage of 90th percentile talent. If you're looking for someone with enough experience to build up a proper database solution or effectively respond to a 2am emergency support call, the candidates are sparse.

Ah, thank you Eric. That does make sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply