How do I stop Automatic Update trying to install an incorrect fix

• I installed SS2K5 SP3 on my development system when it was still in beta. I've reinstalled the service pack a couple of times, but still keep getting prompted by Automatic Updates to install a Security Update for SQL server 2005 Service Pack 2. Naturally, it fails!

Today the attempted patch was for kb960090 released 10th February. It's 146Mb and, naturally, failed to install. At least, this time autoupdate decided it wanted to send a notification to Microsoft, so maybe they'll fix it!

But, how can I convince autoupdate that it shouldn't try to download and install SP2 patches on an SP3 installation?

Derek

• Well, first and foremost in my opinion, turn OFF Automatic Updates. Use the "download, but let me choose when" option so you can:

a) See what you are going to install before it goes in

b) Know what went in and when

c) Get a chance to observe behavior after an update at a time that makes sense for your business schedule.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• Hi Derek

First personally, i would switch off automatic updates on any servers, i dont want any one talking to my servers without my permission (a bit rude but its a part of security). then go to control panel see add/remove programs to see the installed security updates and other MS updates. then decide which ones to keep and which ones not, remember that there is a risk in uninstalling the updates 🙂

• This is a development laptop, not a server. It's set to 'download only' (the same way I set most machines), however, since it's got SP3 installed, I'm surprised that it downloaded 146Mb of SP2 update. I assume some change was made to the patch since it's at least the 2nd time it's downloaded it.

Basically, my question is how to tell Automatic Update that it should only download patches for SP3 or later?

I would hope that now I've told it I don't want it to ask about this again, it won't try to download it again... until next time 🙂

Derek

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply