How do i run a job based on success of another job?

• Hi,

I want to run 3 sql agent jobs based on the success of another agent job. How do i accomplish this other than sp_start_job?

Thanks in advance

• The way I usually do that is to put the steps for the dependent jobs into the first job and set the "On Success" and "On Failure" characteristics to get the sequence I need. Then you only have one job to monitor.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Why cant you combine all this 3 jobs into one job with 3 steps, if step 1 fails exit the job, else continue the job.

if you don't want to go down on this road then use sysjobs table to find out of that job ran successful then proceed on the next ones

Hope this helps 😀

• If it's not possible or logical to consolidate the jobs, you can have the last On Success step of the first job run sp_start_job to kick off the next. If the second and third jobs are dependent on the prior steps repeat this with the last On Success of each - or if not simply put three sp_start_jobs in the last On Success step of the first.

If you do this you'll likely want to consider deleting the schedule on the subsequent jobs if you don't want them to also start up on their own schedule.

-Ken

• Thanks everybody.

It's amazing that I get replies within seconds I posted this:)

My scenario:

I have 7 weekly re-index tasks of which one takes lot of time (namely job1 , job2 etc). So I want 3 jobs to run first of which the job3 is the longest one , and based on the success of job3 only I want to proceed with the rest (job 4-7). Otherwise my tempdb is thrased.

So i think the best solution is to call the rest 4 jobs on the last step of job 3?

• praveen.g.thampi (1/22/2009)

So i think the best solution is to call the rest 4 jobs on the last step of job 3?

Provided that that last step is reached On Success of the previous step or Job3 Quits Reporting Failure if that previous step fails.

-Ken

• I'd still go with a single job. Add a step in between that checks the end-time of step 3 (currently job 3), and continues to step 4 depending on the time.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/22/2009)

Add a step in between that checks the end-time of step 3 (currently job 3), and continues to step 4 depending on the time.

Hi,

Can you pls elaborate that - I mean check the end-time of step 3 (how) and continues to step 4 depending on the time (but, I need it to go based on success/failure not time)

Thanks

• praveen.g.thampi (1/22/2009)

GSquared (1/22/2009)

Add a step in between that checks the end-time of step 3 (currently job 3), and continues to step 4 depending on the time.

Hi,

Can you pls elaborate that - I mean check the end-time of step 3 (how) and continues to step 4 depending on the time (but, I need it to go based on success/failure not time)

Thanks

I misread part of one of your posts. Thought you wanted to quit if step 3 took a long time. Just a misread on my part.

If you want to do something like that, you build a query that raises an error if certain conditions are met, like the current time being past a certain threshhold, and you tell the job to quit if that step fails. If it raises an error (with severity 16 or above), it will consider the step to have failed, and will not procede.

Doesn't actually apply in this case, but that's the theory if it ever does come up.

Property of The Thread

• Thanks Mate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply