How do I have dbo?

• I've been trying to work out for hours how I have permission to use 'dbo'.

- I'm logged onto the server instance using my AD credentials.
    - I've run SELECT SUSER_ID () which returns 2 which on cross reference to sys.database_principals is dbo.

- To my understanding, this will be caused by either membership of sysadmin role, sa login or ownership of the database.
    - The database is owned by NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE -
    - Looking at sys.serverpermission the only entries are for CONNECT, CONNECT SQL and VIEW %
    - Looking at sys.server_principals, sysadmin has been assigned to the sa account, certificate mapped logins and NT SERVICE or NT AUTHORITY principals. No other fixed or non-fixed roles are assigned.

I've also tested and I have permission to create databases.

Any ideas?

• permissions (security principles) are given at 3 levels, Windows server / AD, SQL server and DB

is you AD account an administrator

***The first step is always the hardest *******

• No it's not

• run the following to review your server permissions:

SELECT pr.principal_id, pr.name,
    pr.type_desc,   pe.state_desc,
    pe.permission_name 
    FROM sys.server_principals AS pr JOIN sys.server_permissions AS pe  
    ON pe.grantee_principal_id = pr.principal_id

You could also be a member of a security group that has elevated permissions.
    Apart from this, I am struggling to read the real question here, maybe elaborate a bit. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• 1 sa SQL_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    2 public SERVER_ROLE GRANT VIEW ANY DATABASE
    101 ##MS_SQLResourceSigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION
    102 ##MS_SQLReplicationSigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT AUTHENTICATE SERVER
    102 ##MS_SQLReplicationSigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION
    102 ##MS_SQLReplicationSigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE
    103 ##MS_SQLAuthenticatorCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT AUTHENTICATE SERVER
    105 ##MS_PolicySigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT CONTROL SERVER
    105 ##MS_PolicySigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION
    106 ##MS_SmoExtendedSigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION
    257 ##MS_PolicyTsqlExecutionLogin## SQL_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    257 ##MS_PolicyTsqlExecutionLogin## SQL_LOGIN GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION
    257 ##MS_PolicyTsqlExecutionLogin## SQL_LOGIN GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE
    259 [ADGROUP1] WINDOWS_GROUP GRANT CONNECT SQL
    260 NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE WINDOWS_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    261 BUILTIN\Administrators WINDOWS_GROUP GRANT CONNECT SQL
    262 NT SERVICE\SQLWriter WINDOWS_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    263 NT SERVICE\Winmgmt WINDOWS_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    264 NT SERVICE\MSSQL$SERVER WINDOWS_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    265 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM WINDOWS_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    266 BUILTIN\Users WINDOWS_GROUP GRANT CONNECT SQL
    269 ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin## SQL_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    270 ##MS_AgentSigningCertificate## CERTIFICATE_MAPPED_LOGIN GRANT CONNECT SQL
    2 public SERVER_ROLE GRANT CONNECT

My account is in the BUILTIN\Users Windows Group. This group has not been assigned any server roles.

• To elaborate, I would like to understand how I have acquired permission to use the dbo database principal.

• james.smith3 - Wednesday, July 4, 2018 2:32 AM

I've been trying to work out for hours how I have permission to use 'dbo'.

- I've run SELECT SUSER_ID () which returns 2 which on cross reference to sys.database_principals is dbo.

- To my understanding, this will be caused by either membership of sysadmin role, sa login or ownership of the database.
    - Looking at sys.serverpermission the only entries are for CONNECT, CONNECT SQL and VIEW %
    - Looking at sys.server_principals, sysadmin has been assigned to the sa account, certificate mapped logins and NT SERVICE or NT AUTHORITY principals. No other fixed or non-fixed roles are assigned.

Any ideas?

grant yourself db_owner if you can.

Sorry for my bad English..

• what roles is this group a member of?

My account is in the BUILTIN\Users Windows Group. This group has not been assigned any server roles. 

Check the documentation on finding your permissions with built-in functions here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• No roles and no permissions directly assigned to the server principal

Any ideas?

SUSER_ID returns the server principal id, not the database principal id. And dbo is not s server principal.

You can execute SELECT SUSER_NAME(2) to find the login name for SUSER_ID of 2. It should be public, not dbo

Sue

Any ideas?

Just a shot in the dark... use the xp_logininfo stored procedure to find all AD groups that you're a member of and then check those groups for the DBO privs.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply