How do I get SSAS, SSIS, and SSRS to show up under Server type in SSMS?

• I installed the 2008 developer edition and want to start working with SSAS. I don't see SSAS (or SSIS or SSRS) in the server type dropdown. I checked and the services are running. Do I have to configure something to make them visible to SSMS?

I'm running this instance on a laptop running Vista Home Premium.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Chris

• Hmmm, I'm really surprised that no one else seems to have had this problem.

I have an existing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition With Advanced Services instance installed on this laptop before I installed the Dev Edition instance. It looks like SSMS upgraded to the full version, but perhaps the previous instance caused a problem?

• Could it be that these services are NOT running as Local Service or Network Service? In the Log On As column of Services they show the account they were installed under (i.e., .\accountname).

If that's the case why would the Database Engine show up in the dropdown?

I tried turning on the SQL Server Browser, which was disabled, but that didn't help.

• Christian,

Are you trying to Connect to them by using the little Connect drop down just under the Object Explorer in SSMS? These services don't show up automatically. You have to connect to them.

Todd Fifield

• Yes, either using that drop-down or by using File | Connect Object Explorer and then using the "Server type" dropdown in the Connect to Server dialog box.

The only server types I currently see are Database Engine and SQL Server Compact Edition.

Does our (accidental) DBA or our networking team have to do anything to make SSRS, SSAS, and SSIS available/visible to me?

What's the process in SSMS to connect to a new or existing SQL service instance?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm not a networking/admin type and support here is thin to non-existent.

• hi

was this ever resolved? I'm experiencing the exact problem and also suspect that it has something to do with having had a previous version installed and then upgrading. As I understand SSMS is free - and should be able to connect to network servers no matter what is running locally - please let me know.

Shakeel

South Africa

• I don't know about the original issue, but to me this sounds very much like you are using SSMS Express and not the full version. The Express version can't manage SSIS, SSRS and SSAS, so you won't see these options.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Hmmm, I thought I'd posted the solution here. Anyway, for my particular situation the solution was to uninstall the Express Edition tools (yes, I had SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services installed on the box), specifically SSMS and BIDS, then reinstall the the tools from the Developer Edition.

Hope that helps.

• Hi

Thanks for the replies. It wasn't express edition - but compact edition - which I expecthas the same limitations?

Yep - uninstalled compact and just to be sure, SQL server as well and re-installed. What surprised me was that I ran the repair install before trying to uninstall/reinstall and it didn't seem to solve the issue - perhaps I had the incorrect selections on what to repair chosen.

Thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply