How do I desing cubes with two or more data sources?

• I am building a cube. I have defined two data sources, both are OLEDB for SQL Server. I may setup a few more since we have about 20 databases and all are going to feed the BI solution.

In short we left our site logs (visits logs, page and link clicks, site search logs) in one db, and other dbs contain things like Account, Users, Products. That way we keep fast growing tables in one DB and other almost static tables in other DBs.

I started the Cube Wizard and setup a Fact table from data source X. Then, as I was looking for adding some Dimensions in data source Y, I noticed I could not.

So, how do I mix a fact table from one data source with dimensions from several data sources?

• In the Data Source View you can add tables from distinct data sources. Just create a new DS pointing to the other DB, then edit your DSV to add the new tables.

• I had to create one cube for each data source, then a virtual cube with dimensions from existing cubes.

• Yes, it is the way you have to do it in SQL2000.

• What SQL version are you running at the moment?

If it is SQL 2000 you would have to create seperate cubes and then a virtual cube above that.

SQL 2005 made it easier where you can not colate information from different sources and different fact tables in one cube.

Thanks

Jacques

• I have SQL 2000.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply