How do I create a report template?

• This is sort of associated with my previous post. I'd like to create a report template so that all the reports our group writes, they all have the company logo in the same place and all the footers look the same, we're all using the same font, etc. I haven't seen anything written that really sets a report template. Do I just create a project in VS2005 and then save it when I have my headers, footers, css, and logo looking the way I want them to? Then open that project every time I start a new report?

• To create report templates:

Create your report in a project.

Locate Copy and rename the rdl file on your filesystem and move to the templates directory.

Mine template directory is:

Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject

The common location I've found in books is:

Visual Studio 2005\Projects\MSSQLRS\Template

If you're stuggling to find it search "My Documents" for ReportWizard.ico... Thats usually the same directory your templates are stored in.

Once saved, every time you choose to add an item, your report template should be in the template options, along with Report Wizard, Data Source and Report.

• Thanks, David. I will follow your directions and see how that works.

• Path for Reporting Services 2008:

\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject

• I put the RDL in the directories mentioned above and restarted Visual Studio, but I still don't see the template when I create a new project.

• This is correct. When you create a new Project, the templates won't show.

When you enter you newly created project en add a new report (not by wizard) then they will show.

• From my experience, after you add the report to the templates directory like htilburgs

explained, you can use the template within an existing project by doing an Add New Item not the Add New Report (that is the wizard). When you select Add New Item, you should see your template along with the report wizard and a few other items.

One downside to using templates that I founds is that you have to manually create the data source and layout the report yourself since you cannot use the wizard to generate the report for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply