How can we standardize SQL Server Data Deployments?

• Adam Gojdas (12/18/2009)

GSquared (12/18/2009)

Your version will raise a priority 16 error that will abort that batch, but it will then continue to run from the next GO statement, which can cause problems, and is annoying even if it doesn't.

I now see what you mean. I finally tried running a create with a view and stored procedure using the same name. I was not aware there would be an issue with naming a view and a stored procedure the same, bad assumption on my part. I guess I have never tried to do that so I had never ran across it. Should have tested what you were saying first! Will have to adopt the way you have as it is probably the best practice for this type of method.

thanks

It's one of those things that should never come up. Never. That means I've only run into it a dozen or so times. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• A little late, but I think whether or not the developer provides the table scripts, or even other object scripts, they definitely have to provide the NAME of the object that's changed. A DBA can easily build the scripts and package things up, maybe using something like SQL Compare, but they need to know what is in the deployment.

We can find what's changed, but if it's not all applicable to the deployment, and if often isn't all required, we don't want to deploy those items.

• Later still.

I think it is more helpful to think of the Developers' and DBAs' duties as tasks. Many places they are performed by the same person, many places it is two teams that divide up the duties into Developers' and DBAs' roles and some places split the duties even further.

No matter what occurs I think everyone is in agreement that responsibilities need to be delineated and action co-ordinated (and documented).

Trebuchet away!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply