How can I sort this?

• CREATE TABLE #tblTasks

(

TaskID int,

BaseTaskID int

)

GO

INSERT INTO #tblTasks (TaskID, BaseTaskID)

SELECT 1, 0 UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 0 UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 0 UNION ALL

SELECT 4, 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 0 UNION ALL

SELECT 6, 4

What this means is that TaskID 1 is stand alone, TaskID 2 is stand alone, TaskID 3 is stand alone, TaskID 4 relates to Task 2, TaskID 5 is stand alone, Task 6 relates to Task 4

How can I select (sort) the data so it gets returned in order of TaskID like this:

i.e. 4 comes after 2 because it is related to it, and 6 comes after 4 because is related to it - then we pick up again with 3, miss out 4 because it has already been used and so on.

Thanks for any help.

• Create a new calculated SortID column and add it in order by clause

SELECT TaskID, BaseTaskID, SortID = Case When BaseTaskID = 0 THEN TaskID ELSE BaseTaskID END

order by SortID

• T_Dot_Geek (10/24/2012)

Create a new calculated SortID column and add it in order by clause

SELECT TaskID, BaseTaskID, SortID = Case When BaseTaskID = 0 THEN TaskID ELSE BaseTaskID END

order by SortID

thats close but you also need to add task id as well. also you can just move the case into the order by clause

SELECT TaskID, BaseTaskID

FROM #tblTasks

order by Case When BaseTaskID = 0 THEN TaskID ELSE BaseTaskID END, TaskID

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• capnhector (10/24/2012)

T_Dot_Geek (10/24/2012)

order by SortID

thats close but you also need to add task id as well. also you can just move the case into the order by clause

FROM #tblTasks

It doesn't make any difference if you add taskid or not. It will produce the same result as below.

TaskIDBase SortID

TaskID

• Unfortunately, both logic not giving a desired order.

• T_Dot_Geek (10/24/2012)

capnhector (10/24/2012)

T_Dot_Geek (10/24/2012)

order by SortID

FROM #tblTasks

It doesn't make any difference if you add taskid or not. It will produce the same result as below.

TaskIDBase SortID

TaskID

on these small data volumes it may not seem to make a difference however there is no order with out ORDER BY.

the Sql query engine returns rows in the order it is easiest for the engine to return them in but if we want an explicit order as above we have to specify the column TaskID to ensure the order. If the OP needs to scale this up to a table with a million records and there is no ORDER BY TaskID the order could be "Wrong" (wrong in quotes because its not wrong just unexpected)

EDIT: and to the OP you are correct. i posted the correction to T_Dot_Geek with out checking his code close enough. for that i am sorry and am working on the issue.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

• Thanks for the input so far - as you say, the code so far does not produce the right order.

I've been playing with an awful mess of cursors and temporary tables ... but I'm hoping there is a more sane way to achieve it.

• sku370870 (10/24/2012)

Thanks for the input so far - as you say, the code so far does not produce the right order.

I've been playing with an awful mess of cursors and temporary tables ... but I'm hoping there is a more sane way to achieve it.

i have it but it uses a recursive cte so it may not be very fast if you run it over a large number of rows.

there may still be another way to do this but if there is im not seeing it right now.

WITH rCTE AS (

SELECT TaskID, BaseTaskID, TaskID AS RootTask

FROM #tblTasks

WHERE BaseTaskID = 0

UNION ALL

SELECT a.TaskID, a.BaseTaskID, rCTE.RootTask

FROM #tblTasks a

INNER JOIN rCTE

ON a.BaseTaskID = rCTE.TaskID

)

SELECT *

FROM rCTE

ORDER BY RootTask, TaskID

EDIT Made the code pretty.

• Thanks very much - as you say, that does the job.

Worst case will be maybe 500 rows - so I'm sure performance won't be an issue.

Thanks again.

• sku370870 (10/24/2012)

Thanks very much - as you say, that does the job.

Worst case will be maybe 500 rows - so I'm sure performance won't be an issue.

Thanks again.

this is sql server, nothing is sure until you test and then only until you add more data.

• Salute Sir capnhector

It took me a while to understand your final solution, however, could not understand fully 🙂

Thank you,

T_Dot_Geek

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply