How can I install Reporting Services on multiple instances of SQL Server 2019

• Hi Folks.

I want to install several instances of the Reporting Services on my SQL Server 2019 Enterprise.

For example: instanz1 is getting the instance one of my Reporting Services.

instanz2 is getting the instance two of my Reporting Services.

and so on.

In the past this worked perfectly. Now, I do not find a way to do this.

Can anybody help me?

Greetings

Alphanew

• No longer an option I'm afraid, SSRS installs to 1 instance only now in 2019, if you need more SSRS instances you need more SSRS servers.

• Hi.

Bad news. I have four SQL Server instances at minimum on on server. Every instance needs the Reporting Services. Does that mean I need to install the Reporting Services on  four servers?

Greetings

Alphanew

• Yes you will need to, but you will have a huge licensing cost on your hands if you do not have unlimited virtualisation rights or are using physical tin.  As each new server you spin up for SSRS needs to be licensed individually.  So thats 5 lots of servers needing 5 lots of licenses, so thats at least a minimum of 20 cores of Enterprise licensing needed which is a hefty chunk of change.

The other option is to have 1 SSRS instance and split the root folder out into 4 folders and deploy to those and set permissions accordingly.

Server\Data1

Server\Data2

Server\Data3

Server\Data4

Server\SSRS - 4 folders at root Data1, Data2, Data3, Data4 permissions set as needed and deploy reports for the specifics to the right folder.

There really is no need to have multiple SSRS instances any more unless you hit compute issues and need to split the load but then I would look at scale out deployments over multi instances.

• My SQL Server is running under an Always On  solution. Does your solution runs under this either?

• SSRS as a service is not cluster aware.

The data sources it is cluster aware.

If you are putting SSRS as a service into an AOAG setup you should be installing it as a service on all nodes and then using scale out deployments as if the primary is down then you have no SSRS that way you have some HA setup for your SSRS also.

Either that or what you should really be going is spinning up a standalone node for the SSRS service as it is and then connecting that back to your AOAG setup to provide HA for the SSRS databases

• OK. Thank you for your information. Do you know a web-side where I can find this in detail?

• great !!!

Thank you very much for helping.

• Ant-Green wrote:

Yes you will need to, but you will have a huge licensing cost on your hands if you do not have unlimited virtualisation rights or are using physical tin.  As each new server you spin up for SSRS needs to be licensed individually.  So thats 5 lots of servers needing 5 lots of licenses, so thats at least a minimum of 20 cores of Enterprise licensing needed which is a hefty chunk of change.

The other option is to have 1 SSRS instance and split the root folder out into 4 folders and deploy to those and set permissions accordingly.

Server\Data1

Server\Data2

Server\Data3

Server\Data4

Server\SSRS - 4 folders at root Data1, Data2, Data3, Data4 permissions set as needed and deploy reports for the specifics to the right folder.

There really is no need to have multiple SSRS instances any more unless you hit compute issues and need to split the load but then I would look at scale out deployments over multi instances.

Hi, I'm trying to migrate 4 separate instances from an older version of SSRS so I think I need to take this approach, but I'm quite a novice when it comes to SSRS so any advice would be appreciated. I am thinking that I can create these seperate folders through the Web Portal and just folders under the 'home' area is that correct?

Is there then any simple way to migrate in the existing data sources, data sets and reports from the old instances? I have found some tools that are supposed to be able to do it, but it looks as though I can't specify which subfolder to put things in and will have to migrate them in the root then move them and then edit each dataset and report to make sure they are pointing to the correct location, and that could be quite a lot of work and error prone?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Steve Ellwood.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Steve Ellwood.
  • You should have all the projects needed to recreate the reports in a source control system somewhere, the quickest way to migrate is to redeploy from your master source.

If for whatever reason you don't have the sln's it would be a PowerShell, download all the RDLs from the report site, create them in corresponding Visual Studio projects, re-deploy via VS, store the projects in Git/TFS/SVN etc ready for the next time you need to make changes or migrate.

#------------------------------------------------------
    #Prerequisites
    Install-Module -Name ReportingServicesTools

#Lets get security on all folders in a single instance
    #Declare SSRS URI
    $sourceRsUri = 'http://ReportServerURL/ReportServer/ReportService2010.asmx?wsdl'

#Declare Proxy so we dont need to connect with every command
    $proxy = New-RsWebServiceProxy -ReportServerUri $sourceRsUri

#Output ALL Catalog items to file system
    Out-RsFolderContent -Proxy $proxy -RsFolder / -Destination 'C:\SSRS_Out' -Recurse
  • Thanks, I'll have a look in to that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply