How Can I Get a List of the Fields in a Table?

•  

i need to generate a list of the field names in a table, with or without properties (that's not important), so that i can copy, paste, and sort the list. 

as far as i can tell, this is not doable via the design mode of the table.  there must be a command that will return such a list.  right?

thanks

deek

• select cast(so.name as char(30)) as TableName, sc.colorder, sc.name as ColumnName

from sysobjects so, syscolumns sc

where so.id = sc.id

and so.type = 'u' 

and so.name = 'batchheader'

order by so.name, sc.number

•  

i put the table name in place of TableName in your code; but I'm getting an empty set when I run the code.  how else do i need to modify the code?

• Deek, The above worked for me, but if your "TableName" is actually a VIEW or not a "Table", the so.type = 'u' is limiting your results. Try and so.type = 'v' or and so.type like '[uv]'.

If you are in Query Analy., and just want a comma deli column list, open the object browser, navigate to the table you are interesed in, Expand it's [tree], then drag it's "Columns" into your code, not each column, the word "Columns" itself.

Once you understand the BITs, all the pieces come together

• Sorry, you need to expand the "Columns" prior to dragging it.

Once you understand the BITs, all the pieces come together

•  

Okay, I did get the desired result using the Object Browser/ drag 'Columns' method.  Thank you.

Incidentally, though, I'd like to know why the code did not generate the desired result.  The TableName was indeed a table in the same database I was working in, a database to which I am the owner.  I tried the '[uv]', and also I tried it with other tables; and each time I get an empty set. 

For example, when I tried to run this on a table called 'SnapshotNbsMsMsALL', the result was an empty set of 3 columns, which read:

SnapshotNbsMsMsALL     colorder    ColumnName

any tips on how to rectify?

thanks

• The ANSI schema views work pretty well for this sort of thing...

SELECT Column_Name

FROM Information_Schema.Columns

WHERE Table_Name = 'SnapshotNbsMsMsALL'

ORDER BY Ordinal_Position

--Jonathan

• In Query Analyzer, type:

• I go into Ent Mgr, highlight all of the rows of column info, then paste into Excel.  Seems to work well if you're just using this info on-the-fly.  You even get a column that shows the primary key info.  Of course if you have to do this programmatically or have some end-use in mind, this may not be the best solution.

• I would stay away from querying the system tables, when there is another solution at hand. Use Jonathan's suggestion, that's what the INFORMATION_SCHEMA stuff is for.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• And in QA, you can always use sp_help <tablename>.

Mark

• Here's a quick little script I use.  I was trying to emulate the Oracle DESC <table> command.

SELECT case ORDINAL_POSITION

when 1 then  left(TABLE_NAME, 25)

else ' '

end                               'Table Name',

left(COLUMN_NAME, 25)             'Column Name',

left(DATA_TYPE, 15)               'Data Type',

CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH          'Length',

case IS_NULLABLE

when 'Yes' then 'NULL'

else            'NOT NULL'

end                            As 'Null',

COLUMN_DEFAULT                    'Default Value'

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

where TABLE_NAME in (select o.name

from sysobjects o

where o.type ='U')

order by TABLE_NAME, ORDINAL_POSITION

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• In Query Analyser type Exec SP_Help tablename . You may have problems if your owner is not DBO, as SP_Help does not let you prefix the table name with an owner. If this is the case you need to log on as the owner I believe to overcome this.

• The simplest solution to getting a simple list of fields is to run the following sql in query analyzer with the output set to comma delimited text.

select * from tablename where 1 = -1

You can now copy the field names from the results and paste in excel and split into columns and sort as you desire.

Stephen Marais
    Integration Architect
    Digiata Technologies
    www.digiata.com

• Here is a script I use to get a little more detailed information about a given table:

declare @TableName varchar(40)

set @TableName = 'TABLENAME'

select distinct

ServerName = @@ServerName,

DBName = db_name(),

TableName =so.name,

ColumnName =sc.name,

st.name as DataType,

DataLength = cast(sc.length as varchar(4))+' bytes',

sc.colid

from sysobjects so

join syscolumns sc

on so.id = sc.id

join systypes st

on sc.xtype = st.xtype

where so.type = 'u'

and so.name = @TableName

order by so.name,sc.colid

Actually, I use this in a cursor to get complete table structures for a given database.  I run the cursor against all databases on a server, a simple select on master..sysdatabases, and save the info in a utility table.  I do this for all of my servers, 37 currently and growing, to keep up with any modifications.   I do much the same with indexes.  I have found many duplicate indexes doing so. 

Good Luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply