How can I find out if I have 64- or 32-bit Reporting Services installed?

• Hi,

I have SSRS 2008 (SP2) installed on a Windows Server 2008, but I am not sure if I have SSRS 32-bit or 64-bit installed.

How can I find out?

Thanks,

Marios

• Is SSRS installed in the Program Files Directory of the Program Files(x86) directory?

That would be the first place I check.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

Is SSRS installed in the Program Files Directory of the Program Files(x86) directory?

That would be the first place I check.

It's installed on D:, so not in the default location.

Is there any other way to tell?

• My next choice was to look at the dlls but looking at them does not divulge that info.

Is it installed on same box or different box as SQL Server?

If same box, then I'd give high probability to it being the same version as SQL Server (Select @@version).

I'm still looking for an alternative method to find it.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

My next choice was to look at the dlls but looking at them does not divulge that info.

Is it installed on same box or different box as SQL Server?

If same box, then I'd give high probability to it being the same version as SQL Server (Select @@version).

I'm still looking for an alternative method to find it.

Thank you for the help.

RS installed on a different server than the RS databases (scale-out deployment, Enterprise Ed.).

RS databases are on 64-bit.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Not finding much useful info.

Next thing you could check is .Net framework version (32bit or 64bit ssrs is dependent on it)

or try this and google the productversion that you find in the log file.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb630446.aspx

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

Not finding much useful info.

Next thing you could check is .Net framework version (32bit or 64bit ssrs is dependent on it)

Under Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features I see "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (64-bit)", and RS is the only SQL feature installed on that server.

So, based on that, I think it's safe to say I am on SSRS 64-bit.

I just wish it were a bit more straightforward to find out, like being able to see it in SSMS, just as the db engine.

Thanks for your help.

• If you have Visual Studio - you probably have the dumpbin utility. You can use that - and then search the output for the machine.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• mphilippopoulos (12/5/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

Under Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features I see "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (64-bit)", and RS is the only SQL feature installed on that server.

I just wish it were a bit more straightforward to find out, like being able to see it in SSMS, just as the db engine.

Thanks for your help.

I would come to the same conclusion. Yes, it would be nice to be able to find that information a little more easily rather than assuming one way or another.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

mphilippopoulos (12/5/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

Thanks for your help.

I would come to the same conclusion. Yes, it would be nice to be able to find that information a little more easily rather than assuming one way or another.

The reason for this enquiry is some performance issues we have been having lately, as well as noticing this morning that most of the RAM on the report server was unutilized.

Out of 12 GB of RAM, there were about 9 GB available.

That got me wondering whether SSRS was on 32-bit, although there could be other reasons for why the memory was not being used, such as the obvious one:

because it was not needed at the time.

• mphilippopoulos (12/5/2011)

The reason for this enquiry is some performance issues we have been having lately, as well as noticing this morning that most of the RAM on the report server was unutilized.

Out of 12 GB of RAM, there were about 9 GB available.

That got me wondering whether SSRS was on 32-bit, although there could be other reasons for why the memory was not being used, such as the obvious one:

because it was not needed at the time.

SSRS won't use memory the same way as the database engine. It is a web based service so it's memory management is controlled by IIS and works the same way. So, see a lot of free memory wouldn't concern me.

What would concern me is seeing all the memory being utilized by SSRS - which would mean you have some very large reports trying to be rendered.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• With SSRS 2008, no IIS involved. You can configure min and max memory in the Config file.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it not using all of the memory available. I would tweak the memory settings in the config file though.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

With SSRS 2008, no IIS involved.

No IIS management console, but SSRS 2008 still uses the same HTTP.SYS driver that IIS would use

😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (12/6/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/5/2011)

With SSRS 2008, no IIS involved.

No IIS management console, but SSRS 2008 still uses the same HTTP.SYS driver that IIS would use

😉

Thx 😎

Learn Extended Events

• I haven't noticed large spikes in memory utilization. What I have noticed are spikes in CPU usage, up to 100%.

On those occasions I have had to restart the RS server, as reports were timing out.

Would that also mean there were large reports running? How can I find out?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply