How are you recharging this year?

• We've got a 4 day camping trip planned in July with all three kids.  It'll be the last time we can do that for awhile as our oldest son will be in Africa with the Peace Corps for the next two years and our daughter will be in school in NYC.

In August, my wife's whole family will gather at a rental house on the Washington coast to celebrate my in-law's 50th anniversary.  My kids are looking forward to seeing all their cousins, who are scattered around the country.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to backpacking on the Pacific coast of Olympic Peninsula with one or both of my sons in September.  It's rugged and beautiful and we'll be unplugged for
    four days.  Just the thing to recharge!

Greg

• Eric M Russell - Monday, July 2, 2018 8:22 AM

jasona.work - Friday, June 29, 2018 6:38 AM

I might do a little recharging in a couple weeks when I'm on a work trip down to the Dayton, Ohio area for a week.  Depending on how I'm feeling at the end of the days, I may take a couple hours and drive over to the National Museum of the USAF.  I've been there before a couple times with the wife, and it's a really cool place to go through, either if you're a history geek or a hardware geek like me.

But, the big "get away and recharge" trip for the wife and I is going to be Labor Day weekend to Atlanta, Georgia.  Not sure how much time we'll be spending "sleeping" because there's just going to be so much to see, so much to do, and so many people to see.  We are heading to, in the words of the organization, "...the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe!"  We're heading down for Dragon Con!  Scientists (at least one so far from JPL!) authors, artists, geeks of every stripe, wacky events (including a young lady on stage, with a leaf blower, and volunteer gents in kilts...  You figure out what she does with the leaf blower...)

We managed to score a room in one of the host hotels, plus the whole convention (with the exception of some special events, like a costume party in the Atlanta Aquarium) is fairly contained in a few blocks of downtown.  Of, course, we're driving down rather than flying, so we took the week before and after the weekend off so we've got time to recuperate from the drive.

(If you can't tell, I am *REALLY* looking forward to this trip!)

I live in Atlanta, and it's great for day trips. I've never been to DragonCon, but it's a big deal for a lot of folks, and I hear it's great. In addition to all the stuff downtown, there are also plenty of nature parks and outdoor activities both inside and within a half hour drive outside the perimeter. If you like bicycling, there are literally hundreds of miles of paved and dirt bike trails that interconnect basically all corners of the metropolitan area. There is the Chattahoochee River where you can hike nature trails, bike, canoe, and fish. Also, spend an afternoon in the town square of either Marietta or Roswell; two cities just north of the perimeter that are more laid back, with history museums, farmers markets, and nice restaurants.
    https://beltline.org/explore/maps/
    https://www.nps.gov/chat/index.htm

I'll keep that in mind!  We're going to be getting in sometime on Wednesday, the con officially starts on Thursday but from what I've read that tends to be a "slow" day without much going on, so we might take advantage of that and do some sight-seeing.

• Sean Redmond - Sunday, July 1, 2018 11:57 AM

Clive Strong - Sunday, July 1, 2018 1:35 AM

We headed down to Devon, South West England for the May school half term and stayed at my in-laws holiday house.  It's a great spot in a beautiful part of the world, close to beaches and some stunning scenery.  As an added bonus, my sister-in-law and her family are only 10 minutes away and the 3 boys (my son and 2 nephews) have a blast.  An added bonus is that my eldest nephew has his birthday the week we are there so we get to celebrate with him too.  My sister-in-law's husband is a dairy farmer so being on the farm is a buzz too.  My son loves to go see the calves and the bulls.

If you're out along the cliffs there, keep an eye for two boys, two girls and their dog [1]. They find the most incredible things, passages in cliffs, passages under the sea, old-fashioned circuses and so on. They also have the most amazing lunches with them, which is handy if you're hungry and happen to know the stories about the old abandoned watchtower.

[1] and it's not Scooby Doo. For those unaware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPXhS0o_nng&index=1&list=PLiI9yHIbJi24QE-MPT0RNDCm63gpyavqU

And lashings of ginger beer/

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply