How accurate are Index Usage Stats

• I've been looking through some reports on our key dbs and the "Index Useage Stats" report shows some indexes with User Seeks and User Scans as 0.

The server hasn't been rebooted for a long time (months) so am I right in thinking that I can take a big DELETE :w00t: to these without someone screaming 5 seconds later that their precious report / store proc has ground to a halt?

• I believe that they are accurate to the last server restart. You should consider whether there could be any annual, irregularly scheduled, or adhoc processes that may use those indexes, and perhaps disable them rather than deleting. And leave the clustered indexes!

• They're accurate since the last server start. I would still do some analysis before dropping any indexes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ad-hoc reports aren't a problem, they usually come to me and say, "Can you get this info" and I don't care if it takes 5 seconds or 5 minutes to pull. It just sits minimised on my desktop churning away.

If I look at other indexes they have nice numbers like 63188792 user seeks while others are still on 0. This leads me to think that it's just clogging up space and slowing the update process down.

• I would still do some analysis before dropping them, ie review stored procs and views and make none of them would need that index.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply