Hot Backup MDF and LDF with TSM

• Hi

My enterprise use TSM as backup system, yesterday the operator make a hot backup of the mdf and ldf files of a version 7 database 8 gb size, and database get corrupt, the backup on TSM was corrupt too, I cannot Attach to a new server.

My question  is if TSM can make a hot Backup of MDF and LDF files, if can, how must be configured

What other software can make hot backup of SQL 7 and SQL2K databases, mdf's y ldf's without close the database.

Thanks In Advance

• What is TSM?

The only GOOD ways to backup the .mdf and .ldf is to stop the services or detach the database.

The BEST way to backup a database is to use the BACKUP DATABASE commands.

-SQLBill

• tsm only makes file-copies !

This will work only when the db is offline (sqlserver7 instance is down).

Like SQLBill says, the best way to backup a db is using the sqlcommand backup database. Check BooksOnline.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• TSM = Tivoli Storage Manager

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/storage-mgr/

The problem to do that is because the service cannot be offline and has not enough space to make a full backup, that's why the operator make a hot backup of mdf and ldf.

But Thanks Anyway

• In order to truly do a SQL hot backup you need the TDP SQL module that is a part of TSM.  My company uses it and is seems to work very well.

J

• If your sqlagent is serviced using a windows-account, you can perform remote-backups, as long as your windows-account has write-permission at the destination-folder where the .bak-file resides.

Check BOL backup devices

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Jeremy:

Here we have TDP SQL module, but the operator has this problem, he told me that using TDP SQL module he can't restore the DB in the same server with other name and changing the name and location of datafiles.

Example:

Server_a

DatabaseB=Test

Datafiles="C:\Mssql\Data\Test_data.mdf" and "C:\Mssql\Data\Test_Log.ldf"

If TDP backup this database I cannot restore on the same server with other name without damage the original database:

DatabaseB=Test_old

Datafiles="C:\Mssql\Data\Test_old_data.mdf" and "C:\Mssql\Data\Test_old_Log.ldf"

The installed version is

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases - MS SQL 05.01.0500

Tivoli Storage Manager Client 05.01.0100

Can you confirm if TDP can do this ?

I read about TDP module on internet and if I read well the module can do what I need.

I believe the main reason to do a hot backup of files was the TDP operator was not qualified enough to do the job.

Thanks for any help that you can share

• Pretty sure that is incorrect.  I will try and test it today and let you know.

J

• Francisco,

I'm curious, just what ARE you trying to do?

First you tell us that you don't have room on the server to do a full backup to the hard drives.

Then you tell us that you want to restore the 'hot' backup to the same server (using a different name and location for files).

That doesn't make sense...if you don't have room to BACKUP DATABASE to a hard drive, then you shouldn't have room to restore a full backup to the hard drive.

Why don't you just do a BACKUP DATABASE command and direct the backup files to the other drives? Then copy those files off with your backup software.

-SQLBill

• The link I posted below is another person having problem with doing backups with Tivoli software. I don't use Tivoli to do backups, but since other posters to this thread do use it - maybe you can take a look at that thread also and help the poster out.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=24&messageid=103587

-SQLBill

• I was able to restore the NorthWind db to a test database (on the same server) with no trouble and it did not affect the orginal Northwind db.  I used the TDP GUI...right clicked on the db and clicked on "relocate"(this might take some time to read the info from tape).  I also had to have the "Wait for tape mounts for file information" checked in order for it to give me the option of changing the file locations.  You also want to right click and use the "Restore into" option to rename the db.

J

• Jeremy:

Thanks for your help, but still need to ask you some things

Is posible to TSM Restore system databases master, msdb, etc. ?

Is posible restrict the user of TSM Ser to just db_backupoperator role ?

Thanks in advance

By the way I'm from Santiago de Chile, where are you from ?

• We use TSM and TDP (the Tivoli Data Protection) module that backs up SQL databases directly using the native backup command and virtual devices.  There was a problem with the old release of the client, it would only allow you to change the name of ONE of the database files on a restore (not very useful if you have a mdf and ldf).  However, the GUI would let you change them all, it is just tedious to do.

I am told that the newest TDP client has fixed the bug and the 'move' option is fullu functional.

One way I got around the old bug was to create an empty database with the new desired name, but with the old logical file names (but the new physical file names).  Then you could do a TDP restore with replace over it and it would honor the new physical file names.

• Can you tell me wich versión of TDP do you use ?

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases - MS SQL 05.01.0500

Tivoli Storage Manager Client 05.01.0100

This Way can I check the versión of the product here.

Thanks

• Greetings,

You can make the restore with TSM and put the database with another name and the datafiles if you like in another location just specify the Restore Into and Relocation option in TSM.

Please let me know if you fix it.

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply