Home Terabytes

• As DBAs we know that data is valuable. In fact, a few of us have lost jobs or taken a tremendous hit when data has been lost. Too often no one except the DBA really understands how much work is involved in ensuring that no data is lost, or that we can recover from problems. I can't count the times I've had to explain to a non-technical person that the line item that says RAID on the PO is really necessary along with those extra tapes.

Apparently as we grow more digital at home, it's becoming more apparent to the casual user as well. Home NAS devices, reaching over a terabyte are coming. And at a reasonable price, $200-$2,300, to allow home users to easily backup their files. That's not too bad, especially for people that don't want to setup a second server and have to figure out how to configure it so they, their kids, etc, can copy files over there and make backups.

It's been hard to explain backups to many people in the past. I know my friends haven't always understood why they're necessary. At least until they have a crash. These days it might be easier as the article mentions. Spend $1000 on iTunes and lose a drive? Is your $1000 gone? Is that worth something?

That still might be hard as iTunes allows you access back to those songs, but other services might not. Plus who wants to re-rip that many CDs if it's a personal collection. However as technical folks, we do understand the problems with losing data. Have you ever lost a file at work and the tape guy can't get it back? What if it's code that you've worked on? Not a fun situation to be in.

Most of us probably have some old computers at home, probably worthy of a place to store some old data. I've got a few and even though they don't support large drives, they still give me a decent place to backup files. However, given that I now need to worry about my wife's files as well as a teenager that's getting into digital music as well as another that's getting interested in music, I might need to upgrade. A one step, easily setup digital device instead of worrying about a second computer is very tempting.

Any good reviews out there from someone who's already gotten a NAS device at home?

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Definitely an interesting topic...

I'll have to pass the home NAS information on to my husband, as he's more the network and hardware guy.  But as for backing up stuff at home, right now, we back the really important stuff up on CDs.

However, it looks like in a few months, our remotely hosted server will be moving back home and we'll be changing some things there.  Perhaps a home NAS may be the way to go for us...

• Try the Buffalo TeraStation or TeraStation Pro  Raid 5 using 4 SATA disks gives you between 0.6TB and 2.0 TB depending on the disk size.  Connect using USB or GB Ethernet.

Alternatively:

Maxtor OneTouch Pro Turbo III (or something like that) - mirrored across 2 disks so you can currently go to 0.75TB

There's also the Lacie "Biggest Disk" range and I think Iomega now have something in this kind of size/price range.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply